Galaxy Peripherals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a galaxy panel which currently has a keypad linked straight to the panel in the loft using all on board zones and an RF portal next to the keypad daisy chained off the keypad.

My question is how many data lines can be run off the main pcb from the A B data line if I wanted to add another RIO?

I wasn't sure if there was a limit how many days lines can run from the panel or would the RIO have to be in line between the main label and keypad as a peripherals single line?

Sponsored Links
You can add another line into the panel and remove the termination resistor link from the panel. This places the panel in the middle of the chain and each end device should have a terminating resistor.

However, the bus is pretty resilient and for short domestic runs it works fine even in a star configuration.

Is that the only supported configurations a single daisy chain or panel being in the middle.
How many lines out can I run from the panel.
Just not always possible to locate items as part of the chain and always better to have keypad direct to the panel rather than a rio so that if the rio fails the keypad can still talk to the main panel

One or two bus connections at the panel is the only supported config as per the manuals. The peripherals can be anywhere on the chain. It may aid debug to have the keypad closer for an open circuit case, but nothing you couldn't check with a decent meter, or by connecting the keypad directly to the panel as part of your fault finding process.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I thought that might be the case. I just think logically that if the keypad is connected to a rio and the rio fails the whole system will be down but if keypad wired back to panel the rio can fail and keypad still work.
so my plan would be to have main panel in loft, belden cable between loft and non powered Rio downstairs. then connect keypad to downstairs rio and 5 pirs and 1 door contact ..would that be the normal type of install? what scenarios would you use the powered rio for rather than just normal rio apart from if running a bell from it.

It depends on the failure mode. In a single bus panel, if the RIO issue was to pull the bus low or high, then it wouldn't matter where it was, it would impact the bus. It's not common though.

Your config sounds typical. A power RIO is used to add additional battery backed power capability and zones/outputs when you are near the supply limits of the panel. It's also used where there are long cable runs to something like a different wing or outbuilding, where there may be a few powered devices and the supply voltage may drop along the long run.

Ta! I'm guessing for normal domestic install a power rio wouldn't be necessary although if say have a 50 zone flex with say 10 pirs this would still be under the main panels power capacity.

Depends on the PIR's and other parts. 15mA PIR's probably fine. The combined system really needs to be calculated to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back