When to fit a Galaxy Smart RIO?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of moving to a new house and intending to install a Galaxy G2-20 that I didn't get round to having installed in the current place.

My plan was to run the downstairs zones (6 contacts and 3 PIR's) directly into the panel and have upstairs (4 Contacts and 4 PIR's) on a RIO in the loft and maybe run the rear bell box and/or internal sounder off this. Main bell running direct from panel.

My question is whether I can get away with a standard RIO or if it would be better to use the Smart RIO for this application. Cable length between panel and RIO should be around 5-7 Mrs.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the current consumed by the total number of powered devices from the Aux power rail. Just add all the device currents up and ensure that they are within the 500mA total. Wire the external sounder separately if you can.

Are you installing a perimeter based system with all those contacts? If you really don't need it, then I would advise against. They're okay for a new build, where you can conceal all wires / contacts, but end up being more hassle than worth for a retrofit. Normally PIR's and front/back door contacts suffice. This makes it easier to set the system in the long term (no running around closing everything or omitting specific zones) and also gives a nice clean and tidy job.

The property has been stripped and is being completely rewired and plastered so its ideal chance to fully wire in a system. The plan is for some of the internal doors to be covered as one of the part sets will need to exclude PIR's due to our pets.

Current consumption on the RIO should be less than 60mA so will go with the ordinary plastic box

I would also suggest wiring CAT5 cable to your panel from the location where you would have your ADSL/IP router. Although you may not currently want IP based monitoring, you can pop in a low cost Ethernet module into your Galaxy in the future if you change your mind. There are some very low cost self monitoring options for the Galaxy panels.

Sponsored Links
Pet friendly dual technology detectors can be used to avoid false alams from pets. The new Bosch Blue Line series are pretty good. But don't point them at staircases or places where pets will jump up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back