Galvanized paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know who sells galvanized paint,i need it to touch up the brake calipers on a car,they were painted by a dealer in a very light grey colour but they are unable,or unwilling, to sell me any, or even tell me the exact colour.

I thought galvanizing was a process used to stop metal rusting :confused: Any info welcome,thanks.

Sponsored Links
real galvanising is zinc plating onto steel.

You can however get a paint which looks like it, if the cosmetic appearance is what's important to you.

Alternatively, you can use a metal preservative primer if you want to stop them going rusty.

On calipers it will need to be heat-resisting.

Frosts sell both.

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=24&frostCat=Painting

Hammerite?

But what is the point in painting them in the first place?

It's not listed on my service shedule, and I can't say that the thought ever crossed my mind when I used to be really into looking after my cars as opposed to just driving them :rolleyes:

Proper galvanising is a process in which the part is dipped into molten zinc. Not to be confused with electroplating.

Cold galvanising sprays are available, zinc rich primer, with a silver metalic effect finish.
Screwfix, Toolsation and such sell it.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?a...egories<{screwfix_w1_paint}&fh_eds=ß&ts=70452

As John has said, it really needs to be heat resistant, an aluminium paint would be a better choice, and still look the same.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,the reason they were painted was the hubs were rusting slightly so it was done as a warranty job.

My husband would probably have done a more thorough job but i really just want to touch up the imperfetions,the bits they missed!!

The car is my pride and joy so i did want to make it look perfect,however i'm also interested in the technicalities too.I realise that loads of heat resistant paints are available but the way the dealer spoke it was just a case of getting some galvanized paint as if it was a one off,however the paints i have looked at are in various colours and also, i am worried about the reaction they may have with the paint on the hubs/calipers now.

I had a look in halfords they have some manifold paint,they also have caliper paint in red and blue,i will have to try to colour match mine ,thanks for all the opinions,Halfords gave a blank stare when galvanized paint was mentioned!!one type of caliper paint said on it, do not re coat until after six weeks!!!all very confusing.

Err no would’nt have thought so just hijacking the thread really as he seemed to have found a solution, if he googles brake calliper paint there’s loads to choose from.

freddymercurystwin said:
Err no would’nt have thought just hijacking the thread really as he seemed to have found a solution, if he googles brake calliper paint there’s loads to choose from.
:D He is a she,i will try all the places suggested i need to find the right colour to avoid doing the whole lot again,a small brush through the spokes would reach the bits i want to do,i.e the bits that show.It would also be handy to have the paint, incase the rust comes back in the future and i need to remove the wheels for a more thorough job.

Have you tried using hammerite paint . An excellent product designed to be used directly on rust . 5 years gaurentee!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back