Gap at the top of the door (wooden frame + door)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and far from being a DIY pro, hence the query.

I just recently bought a house and noticed the gap on the top of one of the bedroom doors (hopefully you can see this on the pics).

The frame is in wood and so it the door. The door closes really well and there is no gap at the bottom.

Since it is a very old house the frame is not really even. Is there an easy way to fix this (just thinking about cosmetics here)?

Many thanks all for your help.

Best,
Steven

IMG_4241.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4239.jpeg
    IMG_4239.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
The door has sagged due to age.

You can conceal the gap by adding a tapered piece of wood to the top of the door (and possibly the bottom) and painting it to match. You will need a plane.

It is possible to take apart a panelled door and reassemble it square, but this will require some joinery work and a lot of repainting.

Use a long spirit level and a measure to determine how square the "frame" is. Again it is possible to remove it and reconstruct it if you wish to retain the original components of your historic house.

Be aware that removing original features and fitting modern rubbish can remove many thousands from the value of your home.

I don't think the door has sagged, it's looks square to me, it's an old house and that there is clearly movement in the building, it's character too

Well either the door has sagged or the frame is out of square or the door hasn't bee cut square or the frame isn't square. You will have to get in there with a proper square and determine which bit of the door or frame is out and why. Damn draughty character.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back