Gap at top of uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a back door and over the weekend noticed that there is a gap at the top where the door meets (or is supposed to meet) the rubber seal. I can feel a draft and can also slide a card into the gap. I have adjusted doors in the past to align them vertically but never had to close the gap in this way. Can anyone advise how the gap can be closed?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7585-04-02-19-20-46.JPG
    IMG_7585-04-02-19-20-46.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 1,728
Sponsored Links
Evening,
depending on what hinges you have you may be able to wind the whole door up on an Allen key bolt,if you upload a picture I can tell you
Doesn’t look like toe and heeling is going to help too much as you are pointing to the centre of the door

Evening,
depending on what hinges you have you may be able to wind the whole door up on an Allen key bolt,if you upload a picture I can tell you
Doesn’t look like toe and heeling is going to help too much as you are pointing to the centre of the door

Hi here is a pic of the hinge
iOS Image - 2784907090.jpg

The gap is across the top of the door not just the centre

Flick off the bottom cap under the frame part of the hinge,should be an Allen key bolt,turn that and you can take the whole door up,if that takes away the gap repeat on the other hinges until they all feel under tension evenly
If you struggle just google upvc flag hinge adjustment

Sponsored Links
Hi so adjusted the hinges and the gap is closed now all but the top horizontal part above the door handle. I don’t think the opening side can be brought in anymore. It is just this part, the rest of the seals are flush against the door. Even with the handle up, there is a gap like 1mm enough to feel draught and see the white pvc instead of a black seal

Bit confused by which part you mean without pictures as have never seen your full door in pictures but if you mean it’s not pulling in on the keeps you can pull that in on the locking strip with either an alley key/Philips/torx on the keeps

Hi mate sorry hope this explains a bit better

iOS Image - 398645726.jpg

The rest of the door is ok just the part highlighted in red can feel a draft and slide a thin card between the door and seal.

Needs toe and heeling properly,you need some packers/shims and a glazing paddle(or as is only a panel insert you could use a bolster) google toe and heeling,very easy if you know what your doing.panel out,pack the 2 corners and you will watch it lift as you do it,mark around the top corner on the frame before you start and you will see the difference

Needs toe and heeling properly,you need some packers/shims and a glazing paddle(or as is only a panel insert you could use a bolster) google toe and heeling,very easy if you know what your doing.panel out,pack the 2 corners and you will watch it lift as you do it,mark around the top corner on the frame before you start and you will see the difference

Thanks mate, looks like a job I’ll try this weekend. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Is there no adjustments I can make to the metal fixing on the inside of frame where the locks latch into?

You can if it’s just A case that’s its high enough but not pulling in tight. Send me a icture of your locking part on the door and locking part on the door frame and I will talk you through it

Yes you can tighten that,the keep on the frame at top is as tight as it will go but you can tighten the mushroom cam on the lock by turning it very slightly with an alley key,do it slightly and try it every time so it feels tighter locking but not so it feels wrong.
Also your central keep by the handle can be tightened slightly,loosen the 2 Philips screws and push towards exterior a little at a time then tighten,should be done so it will stay shut when the door is pushed shut,if it bounces back it’s too tight and won’t do a job
I think you now have all the knowledge you need to be a door service engineer,haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back