gap between bath and wall, what's reasonable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently fitting a shower bath into the corner of our bathroom. Short edge is against a stud wall covered in Aquapanel. Long edge is against a brick wall, covered in dabbed & screwed Aquapanel. Have just tried the bath for fit before I finish fitting all the Aquapanel. As I feared, I haven't managed to get the panels perfectly square to each other.

The best fit I can get means that in the corner I have about 6mm gap between each edge of the bath and wall, tapering down to nothing. This is a bit more than I'd like, but have no idea on what is considered good enough in this situation. This is the corner under the shower so want to ensure no leaks later on.

The plan is to silicone between bath and aquapanel, tile down to top edge of bath then more silicone between tile and top of bath. Before I go any further, is the gap I have between the bath and wall too large to fill with silicone? What sort of gap should I be aiming for?

Assuming I do need to improve things, my first thought was to get the bath tight to the long edge and adjust the stud wall on the short edge to close the gap up, using some thin wood or packers between the Aquapanel and studs. I have a feeling I've seen that done somewhere before but can't think where! The other way would be to rip the dabbed boards off and have another go at getting them on square this time.

Sponsored Links
Silicone doesn't last. I would find a strip of thin PVC/plastic with an L-shaped section, then glue it to the wall along the edges of the bath, covering the gap and so directing water (if it ever gets behind the tiles) back into the bath. Then tile over it, so it will be hidden by the tiles and silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back