opinions on needing to tile before positioning bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So... heres the dilema, I'm nearly at a point of swapping over the position of a bath and toilet. I've done the following so far (and still been able to leave everything useable and in place):

sorted pipework
sorted new 10mm cable for electric shower over bath(to be final fitted by electrician)
re-boarded walls and aquapaneled walls around new bath area.
prepped new waste pipe for bath and toilet waste

As we only have 1 bathroom, i cant really afford for the toilet/bath to be out of action for longer than a weekend. so I was hoping I could tile in advance of moving the bath to save a day or two waiting for tile and grout to go off.

If i measured accurately the hight of the bath I could pre-tile the walls i need to tile, leaving 1 tile+grout+silicone gap. Then shift bath and adjust any tolerance using the screw feet before adding the last row of tiles? and then silicone the gap as normal.

The bath is going to sit tight to the wooden studwork wall and the aquapanel/tiles will sit overlapping the top edge of the bath.

Main question is does this sound feasible? and does anyone foresee any major problems that i may encounter?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine in principle. So long as your measurements are accurate and there is sufficient adjustment on the bath legs the I can't see any major difficulties.

You don't normally come off the bath with a full tile...usually just above half a tile and you check you cuts at top off wall and floor...i

So yes you can do as you say...leaving this course off tiles till last,then you would cut tiles to suit..

You don't normally come off the bath with a full tile.....

Not strictly true I always come off full tile on a bath unless the cuts don't work out.

I think full tile off the bath looks neater and all the sites i've ever worked on spec it.

Sponsored Links

Not strictly true I always come off full tile on a bath unless the cuts don't work out.

I think full tile off the bath looks neater and all the sites i've ever worked on spec it.

Hope yer baths are all level then....!!!!
Nothing worse than a bath running 5mm+ and your coming off with a full tile... :rolleyes:

You got a good few tubes off silicone in your asda bags then??...

Thanks for the advice,
Its not going to be tiled to full ceiling heigh so i presume i don t need to worry too much about finishing with full tile.
I've always assumed you run a full tile from the bath lip but will have a look at other tiles in bathroom now.
Cheers

Hope yer baths are all level then....!!!!
Nothing worse than a bath running 5mm+ and your coming off with a full tile... :rolleyes:

You got a good few tubes off silicone in your asda bags then??...

Yea my baths are all level, thats what a level is for. You tile onto unlevel baths? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back