Gap between house and path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

It's been a while since I posted, but I would like some product advice please.

Last year after jetwashing a path in front of my newly acquired 1960s estate house I must have removed the moss and gunk between the house and the path and now I am getting damp problems on that wall, so I am assuming water is getting into the crack and entering the blockwork wall (which I am not sure is cavity as it is below a large window.

I've checked the window surround and renewed that so am pretty sure it's not the window leaking. So I am going to reseal the gap, but I am not sure what to use. I could wait until the weather breaks and mix up some mortar mix, but the damp ingress is pretty bad so need a bit of an emergency fix. Can anyone recommend a product to use that can be used in damp conditions and also in cool temperatures please?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any junction between house and path should be well below damp proof course level so shouldn’t result in any damp issues above it. Post a pic

Agreed ^^. Is your path below the DPC? If not, filling the gap will only disguise the real problem.

Your damp problem is unlikely to be the result of removing any joint. Your house wall is in the ground, it gets wet.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. So I have dodged the rain showers and got some pictures (not sure how useful they will be. But the area is directly below a large lounge window and I am pretty certain it is not double skin as it's not thick enough. There also doesn't appear to be a gap, but I thought there was in the summer. So the first picture is the damp marks inside (it's not mold, but damp wallpaper (as it's a room that has not be decorated yet).

1.jpg

The next picture is outside outside and shows the bottom of the wall below the window.
2.jpg

The last shows how the rest of the pebbledash render appears around the rest of the (very dry) house (it has a pronounced lip), which under the window doesn't have.

3.jpg

Looking at it now it doesn't look like a gap at all, but I am sure there was when it was jetwashed.

60’s homes were commonly brick what makes you think it is blockwork.
The external cladding and render are likely causes of damp since they appear to have breached the dpc?

Splashback from the high paving. Jet wash the wall, then coat it with a silane water repellent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back