Gap to leave between bottom tile and shower tray?

Sponsored Links
You should have a small 2mm gap to allow for expansion. I silicone in 2 stages; leave the nozzle uncut & inject between the bottom of the tile & tray & scrape off any excess flush, cut the nozzle to the appropriate size & run a second bead between the face of tile & the top of the tray, smooth off & job done; none of my showers leak. ;)
You wanna run me through that again?
Which bit :?: your not gonna give me grief as well are you, it's bad enough coping with joe :rolleyes:
I only give grief it's required. It's probably me, but it's just not too clear what you are saying you do. At what stage do you apply this first bead?

only give grief it's required. It's probably me, but it's just not too clear what you are saying you do. ?
Maybe I’ missing something here but I think what I’ve said is perfectly clear; but if the OP has any probs I’ll willingly go over it again in more detail but I can’t believe that you don’t understand me! :eek:
At what stage do you apply this first bead?
Inject silicone between the tray & bottom of the tile after the adhesive/grout has dried out & immediately before applying the second, finish bead. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Inject silicone between the tray & bottom of the tile after the adhesive/grout has dried out & immediately before applying the second, finish bead. :confused:
I was just double-checking that's what you meant. So your tiles are already stuck to the walls and are grouted..... you fill the area under the tiles with silicone, then scrape so that the joint is square. Then apply a finish bead??
If that's right, I don't get it. What does that gain you over masking the area off and filling the whole joint in one? Silicone doessn't bond properly to already gone off silicone - so what you're effectively doing is introducing another joint that can fail between the silicone. That's why I wasn't sure.
Sometimes we carry on doing something because we've always done it that way, but it doesn't mean t say that it's right. If I've missed something please correct me, but it seems a funny way to do things to me, me owd china.

GC I think Richard means doing the two runs together,small nozzle as comes with the tube to fill the 2mm void between tiles and tray completely then trim the nozzle and apply a finish bead,all done at the same time so the silicone will adhere to that in the void as not had time to cure.

If that's right, I don't get it. What does that gain you over masking the area off and filling the whole joint in one? Silicone doessn't bond properly to already gone off silicone - so what you're effectively doing is introducing another joint that can fail between the silicone. That's why I wasn't sure.
The whole operation is done in one hit, the second bead applied over the top of the first BEFORE the silicone starts to cure. When you buy a tube of Silicone, the end of the nozzle that comes with it is thin so it’s easier to inject silicone into the gap BEFORE you cut the nozzle to required size of bead you want between the tile & the top of the tray. If you cut the nozzle first & apply just a bead, squeezing the trigger hard enough to inject into the gap & form the bead tends to give a very uneven bead when you smooth it off; the way I do it also ensures you get a good silicone seal between the underside of the tile & the top of the tray rather than rely on just an external bead.

I’ll go over that again then;
Inject silicone under the tile using nozzle as it comes, remove any excess silicone, cut nozzle at an angle to required size, inject silicone bead, wipe with finger or plastic gizmo if you prefer. I’m so good with a silicone gun; I can do the whole tray & door in just a few minutes & don’t need a plastic gizmo to smooth it of.

Sometimes we carry on doing something because we've always done it that way, but it doesn't mean t say that it's right. If I've missed something please correct me, but it seems a funny way to do things to me, me owd china.
Why is it not right? Probably more right than not doing it; it works!

GC I think Richard means doing the two runs together,small nozzle as comes with the tube to fill the 2mm void between tiles and tray completely then trim the nozzle and apply a finish bead,all done at the same time so the silicone will adhere to that in the void as not had time to cure.
Don't know why but I didn’t see your post before replying :rolleyes: You got it exactly; at least someone understands what I’m saying. ;)

that's a really helpful contribution, you do like to make them don’t you!
Actually I prefer to make a partial contribution, then add another partial contribution over the top of the first one. Takes twice as long, but it works for me.

that's a really helpful contribution, you do like to make them don’t you!
Actually I prefer to make a partial contribution, then add another partial contribution over the top of the first one. Takes twice as long, but it works for me.
Also avoids you having to make any contribution based on knowledge that is meaningful to the thread as well I suppose.

Don't know why but I didn’t see your post before replying :rolleyes: You got it exactly; at least someone understands what I’m saying. ;)
Thanks Lance, I geddit now. The way I was understanding you was that you were allowing the first run of silicone to cure before applying the second bead. If it works for you that's peachy. ;)

Thanks Lance, I geddit now. The way I was understanding you was that you were allowing the first run of silicone to cure before applying the second bead. If it works for you that's peachy. ;)
;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back