Gaps Between Stair Balustrades (Spindles)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My sister has just bought a house (ex council) and on the landing the gaps between the spindles are approx 145mm, she has young kids and is worried about them putting their heads through and falling down the stairs. Apart from removing them and changing the size of the spacers and refitting them, is there are quick and easy method to cover the gaps, i.e panelling etc.
thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
The regulation size is that a 100mm diameter ball should not pass through any part of the staircase, but i dont think this applies to domestic staircases.

The easiest way to do it would be to board it out with some ply / mdf and paint it or something, but depends what sort of look you're after

boarding them up can look really dark

anything you try to put accross vertical or 45% will finish up as a climbing frame so more dangerous :rolleyes:

if you have a powered mitre saw and you can get 50% more spindles the same it will take you twice as long but will look far better than dark and solid :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
thanks guys don't really want to board because of the light, was maybe thinking of some of the patterned panelling, like in the radiator covering, but this seems a tad expensive, i could make some of the spindles the same but is a bit time consuming.

ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back