Gaps in tiling round window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oops.
Second try.
Tiler left gaps either side of window, one is 1.25cm, other side is 3.5cm...
As you may be able to see from photo (!) he's covered gaps with plastic strip and suggested spray painting same colour as have done window frame.
Not happy with plastic strip and he couldn't offer any other suggestions.
Can I simply fill it with grout and paint same colour as tiles? Is there any way I could break down tiles and mosaic (have feeling gap too small on 1 side).
Please help with any ideas! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
thats one nasty strip added in there, are you sure he is a tiler? id say hes not.

You gotta be kidding me :eek: ,get him to do it again and properly this time,looks very shoddy,no amount of trim will solve that.

Did erm, you know,,, went away on holiday,, Gcol,, he didn't go to Spain did he???? Naaaahh, he wouldn't have gone 'n done a job and left it like that,,,, would he?? Ask him Jeffy,,, go on,, don't be scared, he likes you,, you're his deputy. :cool:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
I know it's a bad job and didn't realise how bad until after I'd paid him - yes, evidentally I am that dumb female...
No way I am getting him back to take them all off, repurchase (takes more than a month for tiles to arrive) and do whole wall again. Joker also broke the outside canopy by leaving it open overnight and winds ripped it off. He refused to repair, quote comes in at £500. So doubt he would take any notice.
Trust me, he is never setting foot in house again! H said his tiler was away and he did it himself; the flooring they did is great which is why gave them this.
Meanwhile, anything I could do to make best of this?
:cry:

my suggestion is a large sledge hammer!

start again and either do it yourself properly or get someone else in,

but first give him the opportunity to do the job again correctly, take loads of pics, get a pro tiler to come look at it and give you a statement, write down a good record of what happened, if he says no take the fool to court to get the re-tiling and the damage to the canopy paid for

and was the tiler an elderly English guy with a northern accent?

:eek: Hi, no he's middle aged n a southerner, I decided not to discriminate too early on...!!

fair enough wasnt GC then!

but i feel my advice is for the best!

So, back to the ops predicament then - expensive tiles with a long lead time for replacement which she doesn't want to go down the line of anyway.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is to get a small and thin piece of timber the same thickness as the tiles (or as close as possible - 8 to 10mm?) which you fix to the window frame all the way round, with a thin strip of timber, rounded over at the edges (4-6mm) by 40 or 50 mm fixed onto this to act as an architrave, which you can then paint the same colour as the window. Should look quite good, probably better than just a tile edge anyway.

if you still got some tiles or get hold of the same tiles,get the tiler or kinda tiler to cut the tile, glue, end edging strip and stick it
it would look much better
also why hasn't he tilled on the window area????

Missed this one; some sort of more appropriate plastic trim/border or even a light Oak strip is really the only thing I can suggest. The tiles are not even bloody straight; he’s got the layout/spacing all wrong & retiling would involve stripping the whole wall off as no matter what you do with it now, you will never get rid of those little slips of tile, is the other side the same?

I've got to admit I couldn’t live with that & would have to start again. The Spanish are supposed to be among the tiling experts of Europe so why on earth did you use some e-pat tw at who is obviously no tiler & hasn't got a clue :eek:

No idea how what sort of trading standards exist in Spain & whether you’d stand any realistic chance of redress but if he’s running a building firm, I’d certainly try & make his life very difficult locally. :evil:

Did erm, you know,,, went away on holiday,, Gcol,, he didn't go to Spain did he???? Naaaahh, he wouldn't have gone 'n done a job and left it like that,,,, would he?? Ask him Jeffy,,, go on,, don't be scared, he likes you,, you're his deputy. :cool:
What's with the elderly bit..... I'm not elderly. Jef's older than me!
And is was Cuba not Spain.
:p

What's with the elderly bit..... I'm not elderly. Jef's older than me!
And is was Cuba not Spain.
:p
Think they are descendants though aren’t they :?: Lucky sod; always wanted to Cuba, not just for the tropical thingy but for the fanatic collection of old American cars they still seem to use on a daily basis & unique style of blues/jaz. Don’t know how interested you are in music or style but I went to see La Buena Vista here in Norfolk 2 years ago (I think); what a fantastic show it was & they all looked like the were old enough & about to croak under the effort but one to remember; I think some of them may have backed Frank Sinatra before the fence went up.

We were on the Cayos of the north coast - nothing there but an airport, a road, hotels and a rake of beaches. Saw one car like you described. Music groups in hotel were pretty good though.

If it makes you feel any better, I got food poisoning on day 3. Had to change hotels on day 8 cause the food was positively dangerous. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back