Garage ceiling insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we moved into a 1970 built bungalow built on a hill, and the bungalow has a double garage under the house (plus storage across the remaining footprint).

The house is very hard to keep warm and it feels like a lot of the cold is coming up from the concrete floor. The ceiling of the garage looks like it has asbestos panels on it.

We can't install insulation on top of the concrete as the room heights aren't particularly high and that was cause maximum disruption to the house.

But are there other ways to insulate? I guess we could spray insulation on the underside of every floor except the garage ceiling itself, but how to insulate that part? New garage doors are top of the list as they're definitely not helping (and they're broken).

Sponsored Links
Three options - insulate on top of the floor, within the floor, underside the floor.

If the first two are not options, then it has to be the underside of the floor - and that would include the garage ceiling.

The fourth option - and it is often more cost effective, is to turn the heating up/check heating emitters are suitable for the rooms.

The fourth option - and it is often more cost effective, is to turn the heating up
What about the cost of heating due to heat loss :?: Isn't that the point of thermal insulation, to reduce heat loss :?:

Sponsored Links
I guess we could spray insulation on the underside of every floor except the garage ceiling itself,
Don't understand, how could you spray insulation on the underside of the ground floors :?::!:

I think woody is saying that the cost of insulation is often overlooked, and people can spend more on insulation than on "wasted" fuel. Also - the room might just be underheated due to a fault or poor planning.

I think woody is saying that the cost of insulation is often overlooked, and people can spend more on insulation than on "wasted" fuel.
That isn't usually considered to be the case, particularly with roof insulation where the greatest heat loss occurs.
ps since when did woody require a spokesperson :?::D

That isn't usually considered to be the case, particularly with roof insulation where the greatest heat loss occurs.
ps since when did woody require a spokesperson :?::D
This isn't a roof. Heat losses through floors are typically very low compared to other elements.

The OP has mentioned asbestos on the garage ceiling, so along with any other potential costs, there is the cost of removing or fixing through that, and then 'managing' it.

So when you add all these costs up over a defined pay back period, it may be more than just turning the thermostat up a degree or two and spending a few more pounds for a few months of the year.

Leave my spokespeople alone.

The ground floor is above a garage and a storage void. Put your glasses on :p

Terribly sorry, I misunderstood the situation. So why can't the underside of the floor over the garage be insulated under the asbestos without disturbing it ,which was why I asked the question about the garage ceiling height to see what headroom was available.
ps just for woody :p you too.

How, without using voodoo, does one stick insulation to the underside of asbestos without disturbing it?

How, without using voodoo, does one stick insulation to the underside of asbestos without disturbing it?
this is where Magic 8 Ball might come in:!: - but, if we are talking about spray on insulation how would that disturb anything :?:

Looks like it is possible to retain the asbestos board and cover with some appropriate insulation.

Attachments

• ARCA GN010-V0715-Encapsulation of Asbestos Containing Materials.pdf
    182 KB · Views: 131

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back