Garage Conversion Nightmare Planning Officer

B

boydey

Where do I start this has been a nightmare from day 1 of speaking to planning, but I got it passed but she wont certify the work now due to the concrete foundation at the garage door.

My garage is completed my drawing that was passed showed using the existing strip foundation , and brick founds ( I had the drws & details from my house builder and were submitted and passed with my warrant) breaking out the concrete slab and building new brickwork on top of the existing.

When the planning officer came to site she said that i had not created a foundation as the tarmac had not been cut, and that she could not see the dpc through the brickwork.

I quickly explained to her that it was a existing foundation as per the drawing.

The only thing I have not done as per the drw is break out the concrete slab the bricks sit on the existing.

My builder has spoke to her and confirmed everything but she says now there is cold spots .

There is a existin dpc below the existing concrete slab a new dpc above the concrete slab insultation in the new raised timber floor , 22mm chipboard and 18mm hardwood flooring, in the wall there is brickwork , timber frame, dpc,kingspan insulation & plasterboard.

I have spoke to a structural engineer who says the found is fine.

She however is adament that everything has to be took down the concrete slab cut out and new brick work installed.

Can she make me do this even though I comply with the building standards the only prob is the detail on my drw differs.

Sponsored Links
just because there is an existing foundation throuh the doorway,it doesnt mean any brickwork was ever built on the foundation to the garage slab(floor).therefore its not classed as load bearing.
i did one in the summer and had to dig down to show there was brickwork under the slab,which in this case,there was,BUT many dont bother.they just backfill it with hardcore etc.
IMO i dont see the fuss as a door/brickwork and window doesnt carry much weight and a lot would also be taken up on the walls by the fixings,BUT thats the way of the belt and braces world we live in.

If i am understanding this correct, you have built masonry off the existing floor slab? :eek:

Why on earth did you not remove the slab and find the existing founds?

And why did you proceed with the job so far without approval?

By the way it's nowt to do with planning - building control or reg's is your man. ;)

I have the existing found drawings which she is happy about now, she has moved onto thermal bridging, due to using the slab

Sorry i do have a building warrant

Sponsored Links
I am in the process of sending a new detail for the work carried out proving there is no thermal bridging

if youve insulated the new floor im not sure where the bridging is occurring.

i know that there is no bridging, the planning officer (assistant) just keeps coming up with things.

My builder spoke to her yesterday and found out she has had over 400 cases with the similar problems

If you have built upon the existing slab then you have not isolated the floor slab from the outer wall.

Cold bridging is a real problem.

Maybe the bco is a zealot but it is you who have ballsed up not the bco.

there is dpm on the top of the slab and there is a new timber floor/joists with insulation

If you have built upon the existing slab then you have not isolated the floor slab from the outer wall
Are you suggesting a separation for insulation?
If there should be a vertical insulation separating the floor slab from the wall, say 25mm polystyrene, then that should apply to the complete circumference of the floor slab, shouldn't it? As it was previously a garage that will not be present in the rest of the floor slab, will it? So why require it in the 'doorway'?
If it was on grounds of dpm, even though boydey says the original floor slab has a dpm, I don't see how continuity of that floor dpm with the wall dpm could have been maintained in the original garage door, (Obviously depending on the relative heights of the dpm's). Thus some alteration to the slab would have been required for the continuity of the dpm.

ok, think i have uploaded correctly, can anyone comment

thanks

If you have built upon the existing slab then you have not isolated the floor slab from the outer wall.

Cold bridging is a real problem.

Maybe the bco is a zealot but it is you who have ballsed up not the bco.

Can you have a look at the detail and see if there is a prob & if so how can it be rectified without removing the wall, thx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back