Timber Frame foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Going to build a timber frame side extension on London Clay, see attached plan.

Do I need any foundation, if I do, how deep?
I currently have some patio slabs on a thin bed of concrete there. Was thinking just to do two courses of brick on top of the patio slabs and then DPC and the studwork on top?

Thanks

Attachments

• extension.png
    extension.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
The biggest problem with building off the slabs is if you want to change the patio in the future. Have a think, it's good to plan ahead.

Sponsored Links
The biggest problem with building off the slabs is if you want to change the patio in the future. Have a think, it's good to plan ahead.
I will just cut the slab with grinder around the extension

If it were me, in the absence of expertise, I would start by assuming I needed new, bespoke foundations, and work from there. Then I'd invite experts in new bespoke foundations round to quote. But hey, that's just me... Scaredy cat.

When you refer to it as an extension, do you mean a space you can access from the house, like a living room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back