Garage Conversion Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

In the next few months or so this will be the next major DIY job on the cards now that the kitchen has been ripped out and fitted/decorated. I am lucky enough to have a brother who is an architect who came over to measure the house on the weekend to draw up the plans and contact the planning office to get the ball rolling.

Heres the garage that will be converted into a new dinning room just off the kitchen;

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

The conversion will be for two main reasons; firstly to give us more living space now we have settled in, and secondly to boost the house value when we come to selling it later down the road (its our first house). I've already knocked through from the kitchen into the garage and fitted a new door for easy access. For the most part, I will be doing most of the labouring/jobs myself as I am a real keen DIY'er :).

Feel free to give any advice or leave any comments if you have gone through a conversion yourself, or are just into your DIY and are interested.

Sponsored Links
look forward to seein the finished result. i did mine about two years ago. very similar garage, looks great now. put wc in the rear part. will email you some pics if you like. :D

IMO that garage is hideous, it stands out from the house fronts. If I even wanted to build something like that I wouldnt get permission because the houses on this street are in a line at the front. I'd be interested to see a plan view of both floors of your house, is there anything behind the garage on either level?

Also whats the betting that alarm bell box was fitted by someone leaning out of the adjacent window :LOL:

The garage looks to be 2 steps down from the house - how will you deal with this? And why is it lower than the street? :confused:

BTW, good luck with your project! ;)

Hey Robbie UK,

Thanks for your reply. I would love to see some pictures as we are not too far off from starting the project.

Cheers Steve for pointing out that my garage is hideous. Always nice to get some constructive input...

Sponsored Links
plans would be nice if you can post them..

seems a very strange arrangement.. and whay the huge sloping roof... it doesn't even tie in with the house.. ?

any chance of putting a second storey extension on top of the garage and tying it in with the house? an en suite bathroom or an extra bedroom..

That conversion is nice :D , been nicely decorated allot better than a garage :D

Great Job

This is where my downstairs W.C was. Thats now the doorway at the back of the room. You can see where the toilet window is now in the hall for extra light.
PICT0120.jpg
[/img]

I would of never thouht of doing that with dado rail, but i must admit, it looks very impressive.

Again very nicely decorated

Iv'e been decorating for 30 yrs so thats no probs. All the other work i have also done on my own. The things we do to keep the missus Happy! :confused:

Looks really good Robbie :)

We had the plans sent off to the council and we dont need planning permission which is good news. Yeah the arrangement is a bit odd ColJack, but I wasnt involved in designing the house when it was built :p. I probably could do an upstairs room as well, but for now, I just want the garage converted into a dining room for now.

Just need to get around to pricing it up as alot of the work I'll be doing myself. The only thing I'll probably get people in to do is the bricking up of the main wall, and installation of the window..

I used about 90 brick to block up the front of the garage, cost me £30 from a brickie friend. The window i had made to my size cost £220. The whole garage cost me about £1500, did most of it myself. I also have a Wc in the rear part of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back