garage conversion query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have an intregal single garage to our 30 year old detatched house which I am converting to living space. I did consult with building control about 7 years ago when I first started it (!) and I adhered to his specs re. the floor etc. Garage also has windows to the side.

External wall is single skin brickwork and I have built 3x2 studding set in from wall leaving a cavity.

I want to use Celetox type material to infil the studding. What thickness should I be using for U values etc? I'm reading that 70mm is a bit tight?

I'm leaving the original up and over door in place and have lined the inside with a dpc plastic sheeting, then studding, then flooring chipboard, then insulation wool, then more studding (which will have celotex) then plasterboard then skimmed. The inspector didnt see a problem with this at the outset and a subsequent visit didnt raise any issues but I still have a niggling feeling about how I have finished the up and over door to the inside as I know most people have a wall and window put in.

Am I ok with what I have done with the door?

Sponsored Links
seems overkill to me but what exactly are you worrying about? rising damp? insulation? condensation? rainwater penetration?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back