Garage Conversion Separation Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone! I am in the middle of working out how the best way to build a dividing wall between attached garage and the space i am converting into heated space (utility room)?

Am i correct in thinking that a brick skin built up off the garage concrete floor and then a 50x150 timber frame fixed into the brickwork with a DPM behind each stud? I was then going to say 100mm PIR insulation with a vapour control barrier on the warm side of the studs then 32.5mm insulated plasterbaord? Does this work as a construction detail and does it achieve the u-value 0.18)? Do i pu the 100mm PIR to the front of the studs and leave a cavity between brick and insulation or should i reduce the stud size to 100mm and fully fill with the insulation against the brick and the vapour control layer?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Sponsored Links
Its better to have a timber frame, PIR insulation and then plaster board on both sides. This is both lightweight (no foundations) and thin (no wasted space)

The regulations for u-values changed in June, so check what the new u-values are.

Before June, you could have 100mm PIR full fill in a timber frame, but 100 between and 25 on the room side was better to allow for the cold timber frame and socket boxes and suchlike.

Its better to have a timber frame, PIR insulation and then plaster board on both sides. This is both lightweight (no foundations) and thin (no wasted space)

The regulations for u-values changed in June, so check what the new u-values are.

Before June, you could have 100mm PIR full fill in a timber frame, but 100 between and 25 on the room side was better to allow for the cold timber frame and socket boxes and suchlike.
as in no brick wall? just the 100mm timber wall?

Sponsored Links
I do my best :giggle:
I've been meaning to set up the "Woody appreciation society" for sometime, but somehow my web searches are always blocked???

...anyway, there just may be too much competition already, from the likes of the Woody (Allen) appreciation society, as well as the telegraph pole appreciation society, https://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/

But nevermind, just know that someone appreciates your advice ^woody^ ! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back