garage conversion supply cable.

I wont be using a non competent installer so that's not an issue.

He has the internet and may even be willing to assist with the work if it fits in with his leave etc. I think some of you gents are looking at this too deep I don't want a full design. Just suggestion like its normally done like this ....or as a rule of thumb you put a switched fuse on your incomer and an RCD at the end consumer etc etc.
The thing is, he cannot legally say he did the work if he didn't, and that includes all the design, which is what you're asking about - he has to do it, not you, and certainly not us.

When you say "leave" - if he is doing this as a private job in his own time make sure that he is registered to certify in his own right, and not just as an employee of a firm which is.

Sponsored Links
When you say "leave" - if he is doing this as a private job in his own time make sure that he is registered to certify in his own right, and not just as an employee of a firm which is.
If you're talking about self-certification, I dont think the OP is intending to utilise that route ...
According to my local building regs dept it does work like that. You put in a design and they agree it you do the work and they inspect it and certify it.

Kind Regards, John

Point taken.

I still think there might be a <rock> OP <hard place> scenario to worry about - his LABC may well do some inspection and testing as verification, but they might also want a valid EIC for the work. I've never heard of any LABC asking for enough details so that they can verify that the design is right, for example, and from what I've read even 2 inspections are unusual.

Point taken. I still think there might be a <rock> OP <hard place> scenario to worry about - his LABC may well do some inspection and testing as verification, but they might also want a valid EIC for the work. ....
Sure, but if the person concened is 'competent' (small 'c'), even if not a member of a self-cert scheme, he presumably would be able to issue a 'valid EIC' for the work?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, he would, so my first observation holds, but not the second.

The thing is, he cannot legally say he did the work if he didn't, and that includes all the design, which is what you're asking about - he has to do it, not you, and certainly not us.

Yes, he would, so my first observation holds, but not the second.
Whilst there might possibly be an issue in relation to 'the work', I don't think there would in terms of the issue you highlight - namely design. The nature of design is such that it can be revisited retrospectively - so the electrician could confirm his agreement with the design (assuming he did agree!) at any point in time. I really don't think anyone would quibble about the fact that he had not literally undertaken the up-front design if he subsequently confirmed that he cold well have produced the identical design had he undertaken it 'up front'.

Kind Regards, John

I think some of you gents are looking at this too deep I don't want a full design.

I think it's you that's not looking deep enough. There are certain times where we can apply a rule of thumb, like a final lighting circuit. We all know that a circuit serving 10 points and using less than 100m of cable will be fully compliant with current carrying capacity and volts drop requirements using a certain sized cable without having to sit down and do a cable calc.

It doesn't work with the same with submains as every installation is different, as you've already proved.

Would you want to pay for some big numb cable if you are only running a socket and a light, or would you prefer someone to calculate what size cable is really required for the proposed load?

Just suggestion like its normally done like this

It really is done by talking to the client about the proposed useage of the new supply and then calculating cable size from there. Electricians do a lot of cable calcs, so it doesn't take long, but it does make sure everything will actually work, the cable won't overheat and burn your house down, but on the other hand you haven't shelled out for a cable which could power a small country as you couldn't be bothered to work out if a smaller cable would be ok.

....or as a rule of thumb you put a switched fuse on your incomer and an RCD at the end consumer etc etc.

There is no rule of thumb that covers all installations. How could there be?

Every job is different in what is required, as has to be designed accordingly.

For example when they put in the cable to my house as the main supply they didn’t ask any questions about what I was plugging in or how I was doing this or that. They just plopped the cable in and stuck a fuse / meter on the end of it. How I use that supply is then up to me (again keeping within the regs). So a standard answer like the gent gave above like I would expect a 60 amp supply to the accommodation is quite helpful. If you are telling me there isn’t a standard approach to this and I will need to do a complete load analysis before thinking of a supply (even though they use standard installs for new builds).

Yes that's exactly what we're telling you.

When you apply for a new service from the DNO, they ask you how big a supply you require. Just because you didn't do a load calculation, doesn't mean someone else hasn't done it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back