Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking at having a garage conversion done and have recently received a few quotes that were slightly above what I had originally budgeted for.

Can anyone tell me whether it would be cheaper to:

Get a builder to do all the work (and use his own electrician, joiner, plasterer)
OR
Project manage it myself and do it stage by stage bringing in the builder, the electrician, plasterer etc to do their work as required.

I am not in a massive rush to get it all completed so if it takes 3 times as long to do it "our" way it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Any advice greatly received!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Project manage it myself and do it stage by stage bringing in the builder, the electrician, plasterer etc to do their work as required.
That can be cheaper, but only if you are already experienced in project management. As in you already know exactly what type of works are required, what order they are done in, when to get the various trades on site at each stage of the build, how to resolve problems when they occur, how and when to involve building control etc.

If not, it could easily be more expensive.

Hi

I am looking at having a garage conversion done and have recently received a few quotes that were slightly above what I had originally budgeted for.

Can anyone tell me whether it would be cheaper to:

Get a builder to do all the work (and use his own electrician, joiner, plasterer)
OR

I am not in a massive rush to get it all completed so if it takes 3 times as long to do it "our" way it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Any advice greatly received!

Thanks
Hi Miles,

I am in the same boat as you..May i know the Size of the conversion? Alos how much they quoted you? Even I am planning to on my own..but need lots of help from everyone..let me know how your doing..I will also do with you..Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Miles,

I am in the same boat as you..May i know the Size of the conversion? Alos how much they quoted you? Even I am planning to on my own..but need lots of help from everyone..let me know how your doing..I will also do with you..Thanks.

The quote we had was £14k, size of the garage is 7m x 3m and that didn't include the cost of moving a consumer unit as well as joining a radiator to the existing heating system. I've done a fair bit of research and have decided to do some of the initial work myself. First, removing the up and over door and replacing with a window and wall. I've been in touch with building regs and paid the £370 so it's all above board. They suggested I dig an inspection pit to see what, if any foundations were already there which I did, the inspector came round and luckily enough what was there is OK to support the wall. A family member is 20 yr bricking so he's going to do the cavity wall for me as well as open up a new doorway from kitchen to conversion, and I have sourced online a window supplier. The cost of the window is £364. So I've saved 1200 quid already.
I'm in the process of finding the best solution for insulated flooring to cover the concrete floor so if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back