Garage design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Just got planning approved for a double garage and am after some advice on permissable detail design.

It is a single skin concrete block (450x225x100) design with tiled pitched roof @ 30degrees. It will be 5m wide by 8.5m long and a full width door in one of the 5m ends. The gable ends will be timber and tile clad - I am told this is 'less flimsey' due to the roof height at 3.9m - sofets at 2.2-2.4m high.

My questions are around the piers needed for a single skin.
What do i need in the corners? I have been told 450 by 450 as this is the size of the bricks. This will directly effect the opening i can have as I am planning a full width roller door.
I have been lead to believe I need at least a 450 by 225 pier evey 3m of linear wall - the 450 dimension running parallel to the wall and the 225 protruding into the garage.
Are these correct?

Roof trusses are to be 6 by 2 and ceiling trusses will be 9 by 2 due to the span. This means i'll have a good amount of storage space up top. Do these have to be at 400 centres, or can they be at 600?

I have commisioned some drawings, but want to be sure that I am being given all the options to maximise my internal space.
Any comments you have would be welcome.
Many Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
There may be a need to have stiffening pillars at say 1/3rds meaning two pillars along the 8.5m length at 2.8m centres.

The door opening will definitely require returns and thickening, unless you can come up with something else, such as ugly external 'wings' or steel goal posts.

Thanks noseall
I'm sure I sm getting sound advice, but no harm in getting second opinions.
Thanks
Huw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back