Garage door and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I have an uninsulated garage door...ie bare metal.

Do you think it would be possible to use the foam stuff they use for filling in around holes in brickwork to give it a coating which would provide insulation?

Regards Al

Sponsored Links
Trying to coat something with canned foam is an exercise in futility and waste (I speak from experience). The only viable way would be to build formwork to contain the stuff where you want it to go.

Sheets of 25mm polystyrene bonded in place is probably the most feasible option. That said, if you are planning to heat the space, you will get condensation (and ice in freezing conditions) behind it.

You are obviously wanting to use it for something other than a garage - tell us more, there are better options.

Its simply for the garage door. Last year it got very cold so I used cardboard to try to keep the cold out. As you say I don't think the foam idea is feasible. I'll have a look at using metal backed polystyrene foam slabs instead. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Unless you have heating in the garage it will be cold, insulated or not.

Even if you succeed, all you will achieve is to slightly slow down the process of reaching equilibrium with the external temperature. Is it worth the effort?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back