Garage door - Hammermte

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having removed the existing peeling white paint and sanded my garage door back to the metal, I applied a small area of 'Hammerite - Direct to Galvanised' only to find the consistency seemed more like a glue and the area hasn't covered well at all (see attached).

The paint did have a creamy appearance when first opened so I did stir for a while until it turned white. Do I just have a bad batch or should I be using Primer first (even though the tin states it can be applied directly?). Or something else.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Attachments

• 20170730_084707.jpg
    20170730_084707.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
Hammerite isn't good for projects like this......despite what it says on the tin, large areas don't brush at all, and doesn't even spray too well. Being xylene based, brushing just removes the first application.
Personally I'd remove it and use another product!
John :)

Hammerite is a good product but needs a little extra thinking about before application.

Direct to galvanised paint also contains primer and is best applied to bare galvanised surfaces only.Its rather gluupy in consistency.

When your sagging paint has dried hard,just sand it to get it smooth ish using horizontal strokes to give a key,then use their garage door paint ,I have used their garage door paint before using a soft long bristle brush for any recesses and a gloss roller on the large flat surfaces.

Overall result was very good although a lot of work for a poxy garage door,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back