Garage Electrics

Volt drop is not only about whether something will work or not, it's about the current increase in the system when it happens. This can damage compressors in fridges, overload cabling you've only got to drop down to 200 volts and a 3kW fan will draw 15amps and although it will still work, it's far from ideal.

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
a 3kW fan will draw 15amps and although it will still work, it's far from ideal.
If you have a load rated at 3kW at 240V, by what magic will its impedance decline from 19.2 ohms to 13.33 ohms if you reduce the supply voltage to 200V?

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
Did I write that mush?
Um, not sure what you're referring to, but you certainly caused me to question my understanding of V=IR when you implied that the current in a circuit is in inverse proportion to the voltage applied to that circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back