Garage Electrics

Adam_151 said:
Volt drop however is something that should be taken into account, especially on a submain, otherwise you might switch on an electric heater, the supply drops 25v, the lights dim noticeably, computers reboot, etc, not to mention the loss of engery in cable losses

Sorry to be a bit O/T but I thought this woiuld be of interest.

Last month, a fault on EDF's network to my house caused a brownout. All the fluorescent lights shut off, but the computer kept going 100%. I attribute that to my investment in a decent (Antec) power supply.

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
You can of couse adopt your own style of approach if you wish, ignore the regs, ignore good practice, take the "oh, it's only in someone's house so that'll do" attitude but I'm sure thats not what the people that post the question want to hear.

I just hope that it's you and not me that ends up buying one of the house's that has been wired using your advise

I'm an electrician of some considerable experience. I've worked offshore, on windfarms, petrochemical plants, nuclear power stations etc etc. I know more about electrical safety than I care to. The initial post in this thread was a very simple question and somehow it managed to bring up issues like disconnection times and exportation of non PME systems. Get a grip! It's not bloody rocket science, don't make it out to be. How many homes have you been in which suffer from significant volt drop issues attributed to the wiring in the premises? Also, as you should know, the iee regulations are only there for a guide. They are no longer legally binding, and haven't been for some time.

=Trueblue"The initial post in this thread was a very simple question and somehow it managed to bring up issues like disconnection times and exportation of non PME systems. Get a grip! It's not b****y rocket science, don't make it out to be. How many homes have you been in which suffer from significant volt drop issues attributed to the wiring in the premises? Also, as you should know, the iee regulations are only there for a guide. They are no longer legally binding, and haven't been for some time.

I'm with you, I don't know why this post became so complex and abusive with such a simple question but if you look at some of the past posts then it does become a bit clearer. I think a clash of personalities is the PC term.

Although I agree that wiring a house is far from rocket science, thats still no reason why it should be done by DIYers to a lower standard than BS-7671, however, within the regs i agree, there is no reason to over complicated it.

The IEE regulations were a guideline, however, they were changed to BS-7671 to give them more weight in court. Although I cant see any DIYer coming to any harm, I have read about companies being prosecuted, check the ECA monthly HAZCOM newletter, maybe I should post a few.

Sponsored Links
Fair comment Pensdown that many people should be able to follow the guidance in BS7671- its not roacket science (is there a guide book on that? - it might not be as complicated as we all think - but brain surgery's a whole different story)

but when you consider that many so called 'electricians' take a wage doing this and they dont know/follow the guidance it makes you wonder what a householder could do

maybe the householder would be more competent than the blaise cowboys? id expect that the householder would want to get it right at least

Pensdown said:
Although I agree that wiring a house is far from rocket science, thats still no reason why it should be done by DIYers to a lower standard than BS-7671, however, within the regs i agree, there is no reason to over complicated it.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. The standard should not be lower than the guidance layed out in the regs. However, DIYers (and professional)should not get hung up with sticking firmly to the guidance. These rules are often generic and can't possibly take into account every situation in real life. The real life issues for DIYers are working safely and that their installation is not hazardous.

Sticking to the facts, part p is here, no shrugging shoulders, denying its existence or making excuses is going to make it go away. Installing a new circuit in a domestic premises is notifiable, failure to notify can result in prosecution. CAN, not WILL. This is fact, you can not give a 100% guarentee that it won't result in prosecution. I believe that the person who carries out the install and leaves themselves open to prosecution should be aware of the consequence of their actions.
Being of an industrial background Trueblue I am surprised that you have such a lack or respect for the rules, would you really carry out any work on a system in an industry: when you have not been given permission? when you are not aware of the consequences? not following the correct method? when you are not suitably trained nor qualified?

Stoday said:
All the fluorescent lights shut off, but the computer kept going 100%. I attribute that to my investment in a decent (Antec) power supply.
I attribute it to the fact that most comptuers can run on a voltage anywhere between 100 and 250 volts and any frequency between 50 and 60 hertz. Clever, eh? ;) :LOL: (Though that power supply probably wouldn't let the voltage drop below 220v and uses electronics to provide a constant 50hz)

Spark123 said:
Sticking to the facts, part p is here, no shrugging shoulders, denying its existence or making excuses is going to make it go away.

Can you tell me how exactly they are going to determine if the work was carried out before or after January 1st 2005? :?:

Spark123 said:
Being of an industrial background Trueblue I am surprised that you have such a lack or respect for the rules,

If you think all (in fact ANY) major contracting firms adhere strictly to ALL the rules, then you are very naive. Rules aren't the be all and end all. Safety IS! Rules and safety don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Also, the legislation does not apply in Scotland. Guess that makes us unsafe then? :rolleyes:

trueblue said:
Can you tell me how exactly they are going to determine if the work was carried out before or after January 1st 2005?

Before you buy a house you have to get a survey done to get the loan. If the wiring is not up to scratch, it's not the end of the world, it just means the buyer has got more ammo to knock the price down. Next year the house information packs are being introduced and buyers and lenders will want to see test certs for the installation before they agree a price. So yes, in the short term who will know when it was done but in the longer term, it may end up hitting you in the wallet

Pensdown said:
trueblue said:
Can you tell me how exactly they are going to determine if the work was carried out before or after January 1st 2005?

Before you buy a house you have to get a survey done to get the loan. If the wiring is not up to scratch, it's not the end of the world, it just means the buyer has got more ammo to knock the price down. Next year the house information packs are being introduced and buyers and lenders will want to see test certs for the installation before they agree a price. So yes, in the short term who will know when it was done but in the longer term, it may end up hitting you in the wallet

That has always been the case. The legislation hasn't changed this. Nor has it changed the fact that surveyors generally couldn't tell their arse from their elbow when 'surveying' the electrical installation.

Also, electrical work only has to adhere to the regs/legislation at the time of installation. Which is, as I say, somewhat difficult to determine never mind prove.

TrueBlue said:
Also, electrical work only has to adhere to the regs/legislation at the time of installation. Which is, as I say, somewhat difficult to determine never mind prove.

Take my word for it, once 2 jags introduces the home information packs next year, the next big robbery wont be for cash, it will be for blank test certificates :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back