Garage Playroom/Man Cave

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm wanting to section off one half of my garage to form a room. The garage is detached to a new build house (2011) but doesn't form part of our long term plans for the house as we are probably going to end up with an extension in place of where the garage is now, therefore I'm not really looking to go mad, I just want something to keep the heat in etc...

So, I'm after some advice on a detail for the internal stud wall construction. I was thinking of leaving a 50mm or so gap between the single leaf brick outer wall and then putting in some timber stud walls with insulation in between and then plaster-board over. The ceiling will be just plaster-board with insulation on top.

What thickness insulation should I be looking at as this will influence the stud thickness?

Floor-wise I was thinking of some polystyrene and a laminate straight onto that.

Or if anyone can suggest a better way of doing it then I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Any insulation will be a boon. Reg's would ask for 150mm i.e. 100mm celotex between studs and another 50mm across them prior to boarding.

You could achieve a comfortable space with less insulation but it still needs fitting robustly, i.e. tight fitting inso', foamed gaps, foil tape, vapour barrier, etc.

Fit ply or T&G chipboard to the floor insulation prior to fitting your laminate.

The garage door will leak heat like a sieve and will be a condensation risk, so bear this in mind.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I'll post a plan up when I get a minute, but the up and over door will be on the opposite side of the garage to the room I'm forming. There will be three sides where im following the external walls and then the fourth will be across the middle of the garage (which will be parallel to the door, about 3 metres behind it)

Sponsored Links
You can buy insulation sheets, cut them to size and stick them to the garage door using spray glue and tape - i did this as the door was very cold and full of condensation before

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back