Garage power has no earth...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just going to get the consumer unit updated as it's the wire wound type. When one of the electricians came round he took the cover off and checked a few things. One thing that was noticed was the red/black with a thick insulation didn't have an earth. After checking it seems that this goes to the detached garage where it doesn't have a local earth either! There's a fuse box in there with 20A and 5A fuses.

So I assume this is bad. What are my options. Running a new cable would be surface mount and be a right pain. Help.

M

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm unsure if there is an earth stake nearby. There's a shed right behind the garage so moving that would be a pain.

Is there a test I could do to see if there is an earth?

M

easiest way is to see if theres a green/yellow cable coming out of the fuseboard in the garage

Sponsored Links
I'm quite concerned that your electrician couldn't tell you this... :confused:

Post a photo of the actual consumer unit in the garage. Someone I know was told their house had no earth despite a clearly marked cable going to a rod drilled into the ground.

Sounds like an SWA cable using the armour as earth. Even more worrying if your electrician couldn't identify this.

Sounds like an SWA cable using the armour as earth. Even more worrying if your electrician couldn't identify this.

He didn't take a look out there... It was full of cr4p at the time.

To be honest I'm curious, he's coming back out this week. Is it worth getting the fuse box out there updated? I use the garage as a workshop.

It's hard to say without seeing it, but it would probably be best to upgrade the garage CU at the same time, keeping the supply off RCD, and then fitting local RCD protection to the garage.

Your electrician should have been able to identify an earthed SWA from looking at the house fuse box.

Can you post a photo of where the cable connects to your fuse box? There will be a black shroud covering the gland. If you could slide this away from the fuse box by about half a centimetre before taking the photo, that would be great.

be fair. Maybe the electricians dinner was on the table. He poped round to give a quote. And muttered, I can't see an earth.

Hopefully he will see it when he has a proper look

just search google for leeds electrician, and call them, they'll give you a free quote:

found one for you.

http://electricians-in-leeds.co.uk/

What makes you think the OP is in the Leeds area?

your website said:
Trust and honesty if something you can’t buy, which is why our customers would never use another electrician again.

Where as advertising is something you CAN buy. STEALING advertising from our website doesn't seem very honest now does it?

Also if you can't get something as simple as your website correct, then I dread to think what your work must be like.

If you want a bright modern kitchen, which saves on money on your electricity bills, then modern halogen lighting is the answer.

Strike one.

sockets-back-boxes-insalled.jpg

Someone who doesn’t make a mess and even cleans up after the job?

Strike two.

we have installed burlar alarms

Strike three. You're out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back