Garage roof, Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm contemplating moving a concrete garage. Every time I've mentioned this I get warned about asbestos in the roof!

I think it might be tin, a magnet will stick to it. Did they mix asbestos and metal? Can I safely remove it?

thanks

IMG_20220112_135705732_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220112_135654287.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well tin is very weakly magnetic, but not sure its magnetic enough for a small magnet to stick.

Are you sure it's not on a nail?

Asbestos, like tin, can be weakly magnetic (although due to contamination with iron, rather than Asbestos itself)

I'm sure someone will offer more help shortly!

Not on a nail ;) While the top is certainly magnetic the underside is more concrete looking (pic) and very weakly magnetic

IMG_20220112_143134846.jpg

I have never heard of magnetic asbestos. It looks like asbestos, right shape and colour, though not the detail of the embossing. That is far too deep and regular.

Sponsored Links
Paramagnetic is the term, hence why I don't think you would be able to detect it with a handheld magnet.

Being magnetic, it suggests steel or iron, so could it be a coated iron/steel roof?

Well tin is very weakly magnetic, but not sure its magnetic enough for a small magnet to stick.

Are you sure it's not on a nail?

Asbestos, like tin, can be weakly magnetic (although due to contamination with iron, rather than Asbestos itself)

I'm sure someone will offer more help shortly!
Magnetic asbestos? :cautious: They would be cement and fibre no metal or iron, and no contamination else the sheet would rust and split.

Metal roof sheets would be steel with a galvanized coating, not tin. And it would be the steel that is magnetic not any tin coating.

Magnetic asbestos? :cautious: They would be cement and fibre no metal or iron, and no contamination else the sheet would rust and split.

Metal roof sheets would be steel with a galvanized coating, not tin. And it would be the steel that is magnetic not any tin coating.

I'm no material scientist, or builder for that matter, but both asbestos and tin are paramagnetic, meaning they do react to magnetic fields, although weakly, hence why a handheld magnet is unlikely to stick to them
"Almost uniquely among fibrous materials, asbestos has a magnetic susceptibility that results in a magnetic torque"

"Tin is considered paramagnetic, or weakly attracted to a magnet."

I'm no material scientist, or builder for that matter, but both asbestos and tin are paramagnetic, meaning they do react to magnetic fields, although weakly, hence why a handheld magnet is unlikely to stick to them
"Almost uniquely among fibrous materials, asbestos has a magnetic susceptibility that results in a magnetic torque"

"Tin is considered paramagnetic, or weakly attracted to a magnet."
Is that from the internet? o_O

I've just checked some different ACM and not remotely magnetic.

The tin paramagetism is moot as there will never be a pure piece of tin around our homes, as it will only ever be in the form of a coating of magnetic steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back