garage walls..insulation options? thermalite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Im currently updating my garage.
I am putting an inner leaf wall into an existing block garage.
I laid the foundation this weekend and am ready to blocklay mid week.
I am wondering what the best insulation is..should i go foil back boards or would quilt be better?
Also...what are thermalite blocks?(i am guessing these are thermally efficient blocks that maybe i should consider using on the inner leaf)..are they light?..expensive??..capable of bearing a load?
Cheers!
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Googled thermalite and realise they are pants for hanging stuff off(shelving etc)..so wont be going with them!
Advice on insulation though would be great..cavity is ~100mm.
Cheers,
Marty.

if you can get them in your neck of the woods then Tarmac toplite are worth taking a look at.

They are also aerated blocks but are far more denser than thermolite and will take fixings without dropping to bits.

cheers..ill ask in the builders merchants see whats available.
Still interested in finding out whether i should use foilbacked kingspan type board or quilted rockwool in the walls.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Cheers....has it a better U value or whats the reason?
Just like to know my options!
Marty.

It has a better U value in the fact that you can use lets say 2" kingspan, xtratherm, celotex or whatever else you finally get, and that will give you the same value as a 4" total fill.

If you do go down the kingspan path, then you must ensure it is tight up against the inner skin of brick. For this reason, you may be better using a total fill type as i cant see how you will secure the slabs if you are working back to front so to speak.

Cheers diyisfree...i assume when u say back to front you are referring to the fact that 1 leaf is already in situ?
I have special wall ties that will hold the kingspan tight to the inner leaf and i can also use these to tie the 2 skins together and making the overall strucrure stronger.
Thanks for the tip and the U value info.
Marty.

In my limited opinion Thermalite are fine to fix to if your boarding them dot and dab style. Fair enough thermalite with nothing covering them might be bad, usually a question of what your fixings are going to be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back