Garage wiring - am I being too fussy??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of doing a quote for the wiring of a new garage. I was intending on doing all the internal wiring in singles in plastic conduit from CU to the MC switches/sockets - also using vapour fittings.

Do you think that this is over the top; and that I should wire in T&E with conduit only on the drops, or is this the right way to go?

Am only asking as the price is getting a bit high.

Sponsored Links
I consider mini-trunking, with the clip-on-cap, and surface fittings, look fine in a garage.

Does "vapour" mean proof against explosion from petrol fumes?

Sounds OTT to me, unless, by "garage", you mean "filling station"

What type of garage are you talking about? A commercial car repair type garage, petrol filling station or are you meaning a domestic bog standard garage to keep the junk in?

Bog standard domestic garage that will probably never house a car.

Forgot to say, I will probably be using this job as one for my assesment.

Sponsored Links
You mean a place for putting the lawn mower in? mini-trunking. If it is going to be used as a workshop, metalclad sockets; otherwise plastic.

sound like you want t price your self out of a job by using kit that is not required

Ah but you never know what a garage is going to be used for do you. Their intention at the moment may be to store a lawnmower, however in a few months it may be a workshop, wood working shop or whatever.

nozspark said:
Ah but you never know what a garage is going to be used for do you. Their intention at the moment may be to store a lawnmower, however in a few months it may be a workshop, wood working shop or whatever.

well if that is what you know then why bother asking us?

It could also be said i may want to fit an air raid siren on this house, so i want 3 phase installed

I presume by vapour proof fitting you mean this:
TNC18.JPG

also known as a non - corrosive fitting.

I have these fitted in my (domestic) garage and shed, and find them fantastically helpful at preventing a glass shower when the fittings get whacked with a large lump of wood.

A full conduit install would look neater, but I would have thought t+e at high level and conduit or trunking for the drops is fine for a domestic garage. Its up to you really, and which you prefer, and of course which price your customer prefers.

<edit> link fixed.

I just want it right, as I said before I would like to use this job for my assesment, but I sometimes feel that I go OTT

Cheers RF.
Yes that is the type of fitting that I was on about, as it is obviously an unheated space and could get damp. Also good for protection against wood and ladders as you've said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back