Garden Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have worked for electricians and done a number of complete house rewires myself but never done garden electrics. I am aware of Part P but want to do the following myself (obviously notifying the relvant bodies etc):

Take a 4 core 4mm SWA cable out of the house (having connected it inside to a 2.5 t+e cable that goes back to an rcd cu) and clip along the garden brick wall (30 metres long) to seperately feed lights and power. The maximum load will not exceed 5kw.

My questions are:

1. Is it okay to clip an SWA to a brick wall?

2. Is it okay to use a 2.5 t+e cable to feed 2 seperate circuits?

3. What specifically is the best box to use under the floor?

4. How do I actually connect the metal armour at each end as an earth?

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Sponsored Links
I would run 2 cables one for each
each on its own mcb

you use cleats for swa cable, and on a wall is fine

you terminate a swa with a swa gland, which would mean lots of glands (two for each light*) so i would suggest you feed the lights with arctic blue in plastic conduit which is also along the wall

* space permitting, which it may not

Thanks Breezer

What box do I use to connect inside cables to SWAs?

What do you mean - Arctic Blue??

Many thanks.

Tim

artic blue is a type of cable

connect swa irect to C.U. unles its plastic, in which case use a metal adaptable box, and put it under C.U. but take tails directly into C.U. with appropriate mechanical protection

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification but what box can I put under the CU - which is plastic - and I am not sure how exactly I then connect that from the SWA to the CU.

Also, is artic cable going to conform to the regulations?

Thanks for your patience.

Tim

i thought i said metal adapatable box? (get it and swa & arctic blue at electrical wholesalers, or on line)

also leave long tails from swa (strip it along way)

yes

Hi Breezer (and anyone else)

Sorry to be a pain but more questions.

I am assuming I connect a suitable earth cable to the metal box and take it a) to the CU earth? or b) down to the TS earth connection?

Also, what is it the difference between using the armour as the earth or using one of the cores as the earth? Can I actually use both?

Many thanks.

Tim

Thanks

Just for final clafirication - I have a TN-S earth connection - I am therefore assuming I earth to this rather than installing an earth rod outside?

Tim

no earth rod req'd. dont forget the circuit must be RCD protected. so either an RCBO or split-load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back