Garden Fence Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a Semi Detached bungalow & the other semi was bought at auction some years ago by a developer. He renovated the property and in the process installed a 6ft3" wood panel fence between the two back gardens. He had to remove a tall hedge to do this and asked me if I was OK about doing this and I said he could go ahead. The fence supports are on my side and I believe that fence strictly speaking belongs to me.
My large 20ft x 10ft shed is 20" from the fence, is in bad state of repair but was there 22yrs ago when I moved in & I intend to demolish it but at 79 will have to pay for someone to do it.
My neighbour's son is currently extending the fence height by another 20" with a trellis for climbing vegitation and says it's because they are fed up looking at the rotting, partially collapsed shed roof. They did not ask me if I had any objections nor have they aquired planning consent which I believe they need - the extension will exceed the 2mtr limit. When I queried their action, all I got from the son was a load of abuse so I walked away. What action, if any, can I take?
GoldenOldie

Sponsored Links
Cmon goldenoldie, at 79 aren't there other things you would be better off spending your time and energy on? It's a bit of trellis - let it be and don't let it turn into a bitter twisted argument with your neighbour. There are more important things in life. :)

Cmon goldenoldie, at 79 aren't there other things you would be better off spending your time and energy on? It's a bit of trellis - let it be and don't let it turn into a bitter twisted argument with your neighbour. There are more important things in life. :)
Thanks Hotrod but I wonder how you'd react to your next door neighbour damaging your property? I hate arguments of any sort & I always do my best to avoid them, anything for the quiet life you see, but they are not the kind of people I or anyone else round here can reason with - we've all tried!
Anyway, I've solved the problem - I knocked the shed down and had it removed by a local Handy Man. I now have a very nice south facing patio area which I and my friends will enjoy using for PARTIES & BBQ's next year - I wonder what will happen then?
GoldenOldie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back