garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my next door neighbours land is higher than mine (about 300mm) and seems to be pushing my garden fence down. what would be my easiest sollution to repair this. I was thinking concrete posts with concrete gravel boards unless anyone has a better solution

Sponsored Links
I agree with your choice although a layer of sleepers to match the height difference and then a timber fence on top with fence posts fixed in bolt down metpost bases may be an option.

is the height difference a new situation or has it always been like that ??

Sponsored Links
OP's suggestion would be the best, IMHO. Wouldn't consider bolt-downs on sleepers - it won't be strong enough. Again, IMHO.

is the height difference a new situation or has it always been like that ??
height difference been that way for 20 years plus since builders brought land and built a few houses.

Its a pity you (or the house owner at the time) didn't challenge the builder about this issue, as I am sure if you had, he would have been prepared to erect the posts and gravel boards at his own cost.

It may be worth talking to your neighbour as they may be prepared to go halves with you (what do the deeds of the house state?).

worth checking as it will possibly be his responsibility to stop his garden encroaching ["trespassing "]on your garden through not being properly restrained??

As big-all states the neighbour may be totally responsible, if so you could claim against his insurance (but it is always best to try and preserve good neighbourly relationships as well!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back