Garden Gate - Paint or preservative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure whether this question ought to go in this forum or the one for woodwork. I'll try here first.

We are replacing a wooden side gate and frame which leads onto the street.

It's just a bog standard, cheapo, planked softwood door/gate, which we want to protect from the elements.

We found ourselves in the DIY shop today just gawping for ages at all the various preservatives, varnishes, stains and paints and just couldn't figure out what we ought to be getting. Varnishes are stoopidly priced and the preservatives just seem to be for fences and sheds. We want to hide the shoddy wood not enhance the grain so I'm guessing varnishes are not the right thing.

We just want to paint it and its wooden frame black.

Any suggestions on what we should get?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
You'll probably get loads of different opinions here, but personally I'd go for Sadolin Extra Durable Woodstain - its available in Ebony which is just about as dark as it gets.
Expect the planks in the gate to move with humidity, and don't let the door touch the ground anywhere and all should go well.
if the door tends to twist, help secure it with a tower bolt top and bottom, if possible.
John :)

I use Shed and Fence stain. It is cheap, easy to apply and recoat, water-repellent and breathable. You can get it in numerous colours. It is not transparent. I do mine dark brown to match the fence.

If you use paint or varnish, it will tend to trap water under the surface.

You can use a preservative such as Cuprinol tp prevent rot and insect attack, and let that dry for a week or two before you apply the water-repellent stain

Pay special attention to the top and bottom.

If you can provide any protection from rain, even a header rail over the top, it will make the gate last longer. If it is a gate the size of a door, and has a real frame, put something waterproof over the head of the frame. Roofing felt would last a while, metal would be better.

BTW it is worth splashing out on stainless hinges, as steel ones will not last long.

Rainwater will be the gate's enemy.

p.s. good tip from Burnerman about keeping it off the ground. A six-inch gap will reduce rainsplash a lot

Keep the frame off the ground as well.

As above, all good.

If the gate seems a bit light you might consider three hinges to help stop it warping.

Sponsored Links
Some excellent advice there folks, I knew I'd come to the right place. Yes it is the size of a door. The original one is falling apart, it's made from some type of nasty fibreboard. The hinges are perfect, will re-use as I'm on a tight budget. There's also already a header so at least the original owners got that bit right.

Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back