Oil or preserver for cedar garden table?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have been made a lovely garden table and bench out of cedar but as yet it hasn't been treated with any kind of preserver. It has lovely colourings and grains so ideally i want to put some form of clear preserver/varnish or oil onto it as i don't want to stain it. Can anyone recommend me something that will do just what i am after? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you use boiled linseed oil, thinned 50/50 with turpentine. Apply with a brush, leave for 30 mins -first coat will soak in pretty quickly and then wipe over with a cloth. Leave for 2-3 days and repeat, and repeat as many times as you like until you achieve the level of gloss you want!
Linseed oil will not prevent UV bleaching, however in my opinion the wood will look nice after a couple of years by which time the cedar will have gone a nice silver-grey.

We have two Adirondack chairs made of cedar and we use Tung Oil. It seems to be good for them. One word of warning. The Tung oil whiffs a bit when you put it on and until the fresh air disperses it. But it is a small price to pay for a nice finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back