Garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we gained a small bit of land to the side of the house and existing garden. I spent most of last summer erecting the fencing for this area (as well as knocking down the old fencing). This summer was spent flattening the land and I built a wall using vertical sleepers. I have just added drainage piping to the back of the wall but I am thinking it would be a good idea to get some wires down for lighting before I fill up the gap.

I have seen some spike spotlights in B&Q (4x20W) that come with an outdoor transformer and was thinking this would be a good starting point.

So to the point......how do I go about setting up said lighting in such a way that I can flick a switch from the inside of the house, and is there a way I can add further lights to the other side of the garden in future from the same switch?

Last year I installed an outdoor powersupply with a spur from a socket in my kitchen. I did have lights connected to that however it meant having to go outside and move kids toys each time i wanted the lights on/off.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Anything that runs across your garden and/or is buried needs to be in armoured cable with weatherproof junction boxes.

Low voltage kits are a bodge. Dont use them, they are nothing but trouble.

Mains voltage will be simpler to deal with as long as you do it properly. But armoured cable takes a bit of time to learn.

Thanks for the advice. Showing my lack of knowledge, I assumed armoured cabling was a protective layer to which inserted a normal cable.

Any idea where I can learn about armoured cabling?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back