Garden Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I had replaced a transformer 3 months ago for 3x 50W garden lights which work on a 240V - 12V transofrmer, they have cable lengths 2, 4 and 6 metres. the old transformer worked for about 6 years but this one has burnt and i have attached a picture of it.
The client is not very happy about going down the same route again, does anybody have any better suggestions on how this could be sorted out?
Any help is very much appereciated. View media item 13008 View media item 13009

Sponsored Links
is that whole box a pre-fab'd transformer enclosure? or did you just replace the coil before?

Sponsored Links
how is it failing? whats the rating of it? is it blowing the fuses? i cant quite tell how the output is arranged. I'm guessing the two SWA are supply (looped in), and the three flex are to the lights.

Anyhow, it might be worth trying an electronic Tx if you can get one that fits, a decent quality one.

Just a thought, it could be heat thats causing a problem, but I'd expect the plastic case to be showing signs of deforming if this were the case. I'd definitely consider ventilating that box somehow, coil or no coil.

A bit of thought later, I'd get a gewiss box, a bigger one, and replace that whole box, it is rather ugly. Put your new Tx in the box. A bigger box has more space to dissipate heat.

how is it failing? whats the rating of it? is it blowing the fuses? i cant quite tell how the output is arranged. I'm guessing the two SWA are supply (looped in), and the three flex are to the lights.

Anyhow, it might be worth trying an electronic Tx if you can get one that fits, a decent quality one.

Just a thought, it could be heat thats causing a problem, but I'd expect the plastic case to be showing signs of deforming if this were the case. I'd definitely consider ventilating that box somehow, coil or no coil.

Thanks for your help, you were right about the output arrangement. one of the SWAs has gone to the other boxes, infact there is 4 of these boxes in this garden with each coil supporting three lights, and these have been working for over 6 years, it's just this one coil that keeps failing. right now the client is prepared to pay anything but have it fixed properly, so I was really looking for the best solution so I don't have to go back to the same thing for a third time. thanks again for your advice.

can't see the rating on that one.. it should be a lable wrapped into the clear wrapping...

might be only 150VA.. can't really tell.. but you need a bigger one..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back