Garden mirrors to deter pests?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've started getting some cats from next door in our garden and we want to try to deter them. Some might disagree but to us they're being a nuisance.

I've been doing some reading online and seen that using mirrors might help. So I was looking around and you can get sturdy acrylic mirror which is suitable for outdoor use.

Is this worth a shot? Has anyone else used it before with success?

Sponsored Links
dunno about using mirrors to scare cats, but you might want to take into account the possible effect of mirrors on birds.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/expert/previous/mirror.aspx

i have generally found the sonic cat deterrents to be fairly good though how effective they are depends on various things including the layout of your garden.

there have been quite a few discussions on here about dissuading cats from visiting you.

I don't think there's a need for full length mirrors for this, I've seem smaller ones placed around the garden and also large plastic drinks bottles which have been filled with water and also fake cats. Not sure if any of it really works.

Sponsored Links
1. A dog
2. Your own cat
3. Physical barriers
4. A Supersoaker

Nothing else works.

This forum does make me laugh! So it seems that mirror isn't the way forward, maybe apart from smaller mirrors in certain places.

I might give a sonic deterrent a go, along with the mirrors and see if it works. I've found a place that does the mirrors pretty cheap anyway so it's worth a shot.

I've had some success with mirrors with cats, but not a great deal. However, other garden visitors that you might not want - it works much better!

The previous post was right though - it might scare off birds occasionally.

Loved Gerald/Richard's post :D

But I'm also interested in the silentroar stuff - seems a relatively harmless option - does anyone else have any experience of the stuff?

But I'm also interested in the silentroar stuff - seems a relatively harmless option - does anyone else have any experience of the stuff?

Learning to love cats is the easiest option. Will save time, hassle and money.

Cheers
Richard

Learning to love cats is the easiest option. Will save time, hassle and money.

Cheers
Richard

I love cats.
I don't love cat pee on my garage door (at the bottom, where the locks are) or cat poo in my lawnmower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back