Garden retaining wall thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

brand new here but wanted a wee opinion on the wall below. It's to be around 10m long on a large radius curve. Soil conditions are good drainage and not too clayey (is that a word?) or silty

Will it hold or should I beef up the wall to double thick until 5c and single brick to 10c and widen the founds?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just build it 225mm thick throughout, why mess about.

You can then top the wall off with solid headers laid flat or soldier headers, both either with or without a tile crease.

A half brick wall tends to look rather weedy in any case.

Have you considered people tripping/falling over the edge of the wall? Ideally you should consider extending the height of the wall to provide a noticeable juncture between the two ground levels, so you end up with say a dwarf wall at the highest ground level.

Size of the reinforcing is a bit of overkill, what you are trying to avoid is the overturning moment of the wall and with the detail you have shown this is not going to be a problem neither will the heightening of the wall. You could omit the reinforcing altogether as concrete is known for its compressive strength and you wouldn't normally introduce reinforcing for such a minimal loading.

Regards

Thanks all. Will leave out the steel and just use mass conc and add a brick course and high coping on top to make the division more obvious.

By 1 and two brick thick I meant on the stretcher so as to be 435mm thick at the base and 215 for the top 5c. Thought I might need the extra mass to stop it overturning. but if 215 all the way in reckoned to be ok i'll just do that.

Anyone else got 2p worth?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back