Garden Room - Flat Roof Design

Sponsored Links
Oh, I see. Enquiring if such a thing exists, is 'insisting'. (!)

Its not difficult to conceal a standard half-round gutter.

You design some brackets from aluminium angle that will bolt together in the shape of a square. These brackets fit to the roof and the gutter passes through the centre of them. Then the soffit fits to the bottom of the bracket, and the fascia to the outermost edge. The roof needs to have a drip into the gutter, and then a flashing is required on the back of the fascia into the gutter to direct rain into the gutter and not behind the fascia.

Thats the principle, you can work out the detail.

Spotlights in the soffit, and it looks lovely sitting on the patio with a Pina Colada or two. Well worth it.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, thanks Woody, I can imagine something like that, and it seems like it ought to be in fairly common usage these days. But after a couple of days of searching online I've not found any prefab system of brackets, gutters and fascias on the market that do this simply and cheaply. (expensive aluminium systems I've seen). We may investigate fabricating something ourselves, but I'm just surprised I can't pop down to a roofing supplier just buy a load of uPVC/ABS/GRP stuff we can stick up in an afternoon. I guess this is still a pretty niche thing then.

I will get on with the build and maybe decide on this in the final stage if time/budget allows. I really appreciate all the ideas - plenty of food for thought. Cheers!

Yeah, thanks Woody, I can imagine something like that, and it seems like it ought to be in fairly common usage these days. But after a couple of days of searching online I've not found any prefab system of brackets, gutters and fascias on the market that do this simply and cheaply. (expensive aluminium systems I've seen). We may investigate fabricating something ourselves, but I'm just surprised I can't pop down to a roofing supplier just buy a load of uPVC/ABS/GRP stuff we can stick up in an afternoon. I guess this is still a pretty niche thing then.

I will get on with the build and maybe decide on this in the final stage if time/budget allows. I really appreciate all the ideas - plenty of food for thought. Cheers!

It seems to me you would be adding a lot of cost to achieve a slab sided fascia.

The gutter helps to visually break up the fascia, which I personally think improves how it looks. Its just a different look to what you have in your minds eye from seeing lots of contemporary images.

If you are having grey windows and doors, why not have metal guttering in the same colour, say RAL 7016 -it will create a contemporary look.

I mentioned the possibility of doing a concealed gutter to my builder today and he also suggested something like my plan (which I thought was probably crude and ill informed!) ie, creating a trough in the roof over the front overhang by notching out a channel about 10-12cm deep across the joists, lining it with 12mm ply and then covering it with the GRP like the rest of the roof. This would fall to the left of the roof at about 1:80 over 6m.
: -
That is a form of box gutter :!:

: -
That is a form of box gutter
Yes, and it remains an option, but for us is fiddly, risky and may not be as successful notched into our joists like that because of lack of experience with the design. And as Notch7 says the traditional exposed gutter is not really that offensive and in some respects can add interest. I'll just have to weigh up the pros and cons and see how confident we feel when we get to that point. Also if I find some off-the-shelf products to make this sort of system simpler that would sway my decision. As ever thanks for all the advice, I'm always learning.

Never really considered rainwater gutters as adding interest but whatever you like.

Never really considered rainwater gutters as adding interest but whatever you like.
Nor do they have a catastrophic negative aesthetic effect either. If you are busy gawping at the lack of beauty and architectural splendour of your gutter, then you need get a hobby.

I hate parapet walls too. Detest the damn things. Whos stupid idea was it to stick a wall in the way of the roof water run off.
Honestly!:rolleyes:

I hate parapet walls too. Detest the damn things. Whos stupid idea was it to stick a wall in the way of the roof water run off.
Honestly!:rolleyes:

I agree, I try and persuade customers away from using them.

They create dpc and flashing complications, not a problem if detailed properly, but can leak if not.

Adds complication and can make an extension look boxy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back