Garden shed question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, newbie here!

Please help!

I am a complete airhead when it comes to anything of a DIY nature so am hoping you guys can help me! :D

My husband and i live in a rented property and we are getting a new garden shed as the one we have at the moment is about to collapse. (the landlord is going halves with us)

Basically the shed i want to get is this one:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-2652.aspx

The problem we have is that where the double doors will open out there is part of our lawn which is slightly raised and im not sure if the doors will be able to open out properly.

So basically my question is: would it be easier for us to dig out the raised bit of lawn so it is level with the shed or should be buy some kind of breeze blocks to sit the shed onto? (bearing in mind that our property is rented and we want to put minimal work into it)
Also if we use breeze blocks would we have to cement them together to make them secure.

Sorry if i sound stupid but i really have no idea! lol

Hope you can help!

Sponsored Links
Sit the shed on concrete blocks (the heavy ones, not the lightweight) Make sure they are set out under the shed so that the floor joists are supported every 30cm. If the raised grass area isn't too high then dig the blocks into the lawn by a couple of inches. Or sit the whole shed on a base of cheap paving slabs.

All this will keep the shed off of the ground and prevent rot.

Cement not neccesary but a bed of mortar for each slab/block won't hurt and will help to get it all level.

Deluks said:
Sit the shed on concrete blocks (the heavy ones, not the lightweight) Make sure they are set out under the shed so that the floor joists are supported every 30cm. If the raised grass area isn't too high then dig the blocks into the lawn by a couple of inches. Or sit the whole shed on a base of cheap paving slabs.

All this will keep the shed off of the ground and prevent rot.

Cement not neccesary but a bed of mortar for each slab/block won't hurt and will help to get it all level.

Hello! Thanks for that!

I should have said that the shed itself will be sat on a (level) patio area. Its just where the shed doors will open out that there is a raised area of lawn.
So if i decide to put cement blocks down, they will sit on top of the patio area.

its still a good idea to raise the shed, perhaps on blcoks (as in block work drive) it lets the air under the shed and stops it from rotting

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
its still a good idea to raise the shed, perhaps on blcoks (as in block work drive) it lets the air under the shed and stops it from rotting

Excellent! thats what i will do then!

Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back