Garden strimmer Ryobi or Stihl.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at a Strimmer and maybe hedge cutter for the partner to use mainly. I was looking at the Stihl range or Ryobi.

Stihl are integrated so maybe you pay more each model?

Obviously the Ryobi range are interchangeable battery wise. Any experiences thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i changed to Stihl, from a lot of the cheaper products , I have no experience of Ryobi , i'm afraid

BUT the Stihl with interchangeable batteries maybe outside your budget

I have a petrol streamer - from 2017 ish - still working well, I may sell it and get a battery version in the future - so much easier

and a few weeks ago , finally got my hedge trimmer Battery - telescopic HLA86 , with a 200 Battery , best investment yet

I have a lot of hedges, and lylandii , and it would take days to cut back - ladders and then moving the ladder up and down, extension leads trailing all over the garden - with the HLA86 - i did all our front hedges in a couple of hours - rather than the day it used to take , and the back garden - we have small shrubs, things - about 6ft high and wide - used to take at least half a day - again all cut , cleared up in under 2 hours and no ladders at all ( I have fallen off ladders twice now ), and no cables trailing which my partner she has cut and so did I last time i used , so easy to do

Stihl are very Expensive - (I ordered mine in Nov21 , at it arrived May22 !!!!!!! ) but i do prefer something i can just pickup and use / it works , rather than the issues i have had in the past

the batteries on some models are nterchable between products
you can get
AP100, AP200 , AP300 - my M-I-L has the AP300 and when i borrowed the HLA86 - it lasted all day with spare
Hence i got the cheaper battery AP200 - and that lasted all for my work

The In-laws family are all farming/gardening trade and mainly use Stihl, which they use day in day out - its a bit over the top for a domestic garden , but i have got through 4 streamers varying in price upto about £60+ each - so thats £240 odd quid , and of course they go wrong when you are using them ......
So thats why i prefer to save and invest in tools that last

Last edited:
I have Stihl petrol strimmer, hedgecutter and blower. Don't use them now, got Milwaukee M18 multi function strimmer, pole pruner and pole hedge trimmer, plus blower. Not cheap, but I don't have to rush out to get a can of (very) expensive petrol any more. Got a Hyundai mower 40v.

Sponsored Links
probably off zero interest but worth a mention
i have had a ryobi one plus strimmer for about 14 or 15 years now and its all i cut my smallish garden with [no lawnmower]so i assume the new one will work as well as most new ryobi are a bit better built

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back