Garden strimmer wire replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My strimmer has no make stamped on it but I need to replace the wire. Do they come in standard sizes or can you just buy the thread to thread through in absence of buying a unit?

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Wires come in lots of diameters.
But for most basic electric strimmers 1.5mm or 1.6mm diameter is perfect.

To fit:
Pop off cap.
Remove cartridge
Cut yourself two lengths of say 3m.
Push ends of both into the little securing holes or clips in cartridge.
Wind on both lengths (I do both wires at same time) in direction show by arrows.
Leave 15cm free.
Push these lengths though the two holes as as you push cartridge back in place. ]
Replace cap.

Some wires are here -
I tend to but the 1.5mm or 1,6mm diameter for my electric strimmer:
Note that Poundland currently (Aug2019) also has some, but never tried it to see if any good.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...trimmer+wire.TRS0&_nkw=strimmer+wire&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Here's a photo. So I can just buy wire to push through the holes as you say? It doesn't look like it dismantles anymore although I have tried hence why it looks a bit battered!

Attachments

• 20190828_153151 (Copy).jpg
    20190828_153151 (Copy).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 88
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
No I can't get the belt off and I can't see the make in order to buy the exact same one again. How will I know a pre loaded one will fit?

Got the belt off at last. Is there still hope? Seems bad to replace a whole strimmer just because of a small part!

Well done.
Yes agreed, always best to try.

This is an okay video showing how its done. Start at 1min.
SFK

I should have known there'll be a video on you tube for it, doh! I'll get some string tomorrow and revert, thank you.

Note that there is a bit of a knack to it.
I do not wind tightly. But I do wind both in at the same time (both between a thumb and finger).
As said poundland do sell it, but I never tried it.
I use the 1.6mm from ebay spending about £3.50.

For yours, you wind it all on and then poke it thorough the holes of the belt as you replace the belt (swearing as it suddenly unwinds).
Then you poke it through the two holes in the carrier as you insert into that.
Suggest you use shorter lengths of wire first time you try (say 2 x 1.5m).

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back