gardtec 500 no bell/siren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have the Gardtec 500 alarm and there is a fault with the bell/siren. When armed and set off the sound emits from the panel speaker and the strobe on the outside bell/siren flashes but no bell/siren? i have done the bell test but just flashing strobe. The outside alarm works because when the power is cut off to the system it sounds off, any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
or the bell trigger in the panel has died.

To diagnose it properly, you need to get inside the panel and put the bell trigger onto 0V to see of it sounds. This will tell you whether it's the panel or the bell/wiring.

Btw. If the bell sounds when the power is cut off, your backup battery (or its fuse) is dead. It's a 2.1 AHr, 12V sealed lead acid battery.

hi all, i have the Gardtec 500 alarm and there is a fault with the bell/siren. When armed and set off the sound emits from the panel speaker and the strobe on the outside bell/siren flashes but no bell/siren? i have done the bell test but just flashing strobe. The outside alarm works because when the power is cut off to the system it sounds off, any ideas? Thanks
i have noticed wnen i removed the front panel that the brown cable, i think its the cable from the bell box outside has a green wire that isnt connected, the other 3 green wires from the other leads are connected to AUX+ on the panel,

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not much help there! There is no 'standard' colour usage in alarms. Bells can use five cores - *ve, -ve, bell trigger, strobe trigger and tamper return. A six-core cable is red, black, yellow, blue, white and green so one of them could well be not connected.

In your case, the -BELL terminal is the trigger. Disconnect the wire and poke the end onto the BELL HOLD- terminal. The bell should sound. If it doesn't then it's time to get the ladders out!

Sorry, not much help there! There is no 'standard' colour usage in alarms. Bells can use five cores - *ve, -ve, bell trigger, strobe trigger and tamper return. A six-core cable is red, black, yellow, blue, white and green so one of them could well be not connected.

In your case, the -BELL terminal is the trigger. Disconnect the wire and poke the end onto the BELL HOLD- terminal. The bell should sound. If it doesn't then it's time to get the ladders out!
but when i disconnect the alarm at the supply the bell/siren works, but not when it is triggered by the alarm? so is there still a problem with the bell/siren outside box?

when your alarm activates it sends 0v down a single core to ring your bell, if this is damaged/ chewed or corroded off in the bell box it wont ring the outside bell.

Also, the bell has a battery inside it. If you deprive the bell of power (+BELL and BELL HOLD-), it will start sounding 'cos it thinks that it might have been ripped off the wall or had its cable cut. It will continue to sound until power is restored or for 15-20 minutes or,if its very old, until the battery runs out.

This is a tamper condition and is different from using the bell trigger (-BELL) to make the bell sound.

Also, the bell has a battery inside it. If you deprive the bell of power (+BELL and BELL HOLD-), it will start sounding 'cos it thinks that it might have been ripped off the wall or had its cable cut. It will continue to sound until power is restored or for 15-20 minutes or,if its very old, until the battery runs out.

This is a tamper condition and is different from using the bell trigger (-BELL) to make the bell sound.
OK so i disconnect the bell- wire and touch the bell hold terminal with it and the bell should sound?

Correct.

If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the cable or the bell.
Done the test, disconnected the blue bell- wire and offered up to the bell hold terminal, nothing. So its the blue wire thats at fault? maybe at the bell box outside. What should i be looking for when i open the bell box? the blue wire? where it connects?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back