Gardtec Battery fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I get the error "FUSE/BATTERY FAULT) on a Gadtec contour LCD RKP. This happens only when I switch off the electricity in the house and the alarm system runs off its battery, which a 12V PowerSonic PS-1270 inside a Gardtec 593 control unit.

My assumption was that the battery was flat as the alarm had to run off its batter for a day or so. But since the battery is rechargeable and the system has now being connected to the main electricity for more than 24 hours, this cannot be the problem

Any idea? Inside the control unit there are two fuses, but they seem all right.

Sponsored Links
most panels check the battery charging voltage, powersonic batteries only last 4 years, perhaps you need a new one

The battery has been there for less than 4 years and has hardly been used as the system has always been connected to main electricity.

What else can I check/test before replacing the battery? or make sure that the battery is gone? replacing the battery is not terribly simple given the amount of wiring...)

If any fuse was broken, then the sustem should switch off immediately after the power cut, and this is not the case.

Acchillo said:
The battery has been there for less than 4 years and has hardly been used as the system has always been connected to main electricity.

But it's been trickle charging all the time, you don't need to be relying on batt power a lot to age the battery, it'll age without any 'use' as such

Sponsored Links
If it's not the battery, then it could be the holder not gripping the fuse tightly enough, or slight corrosion there?
If you have'nt a meter, you could test the battery on a car bulb, or one from a 12v house light?

Acchillo said:

as has been said, you think it has not been used, but in reality it has.

put it this way, put a small heat scource under a saucpan of cold water, eventually the water will boil / evaporate, that is the best way of describing what happens to an alarm panel battery, if its nearly 4 years old change it anyway, in fact if its powersonic, once you have put it in the panel, change it anyway, its already too old. :LOL:

seriously powersonic are a cheapo economy version of battery, what colour is it? if its orange change it, as they stopped being made a few years ago

Thanks,

OK, I will change the battery. Any suggestion for the better (and easy to find) replacement than the orange model that Gardtec installed in the first place.

Also, does anybody know whether the 953 has an internal switch to switch the unit off? I didn't see anything apart from the two fuses.

Hi , as well as previously posted, with the mains on and no battery, check for 12v from the batt. leads, gardiner tech, or gardiner security will be able to supply a battery, but you may have to try an electrical supplier as you are non trade, :)

Yuasa are the best make of standby battery, and Gardtech are are a make of panel, so i doubt they installed it.

you may also try maplin but where ever you get it write the date on it

i had this error also, after a thunder storm our electricy went off and now it is aking for an engineer. dont think i wnat to call one out to reset the panel, its askling for code 0802 to enter? anyone help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back