Gas Advice

S

Sylvan Tieger

Why would anyone dare give “gas" advice to anyone non licensed?

I have written several articles regarding the dangers of non qualified people dabbling in gas installations some were even posted in Australia in 1999

The problem is complex as we size gas piping by developed length, BTU IN PUT of the appliances and of course the specific gravity of the fuel we are using not only the type of fuel.

I use copper Type L for example for medical gas installations and all joints are brazed with an alloy that requires a melting point greater then 1.200 Deg F

On natural gas I use black threaded steel up to 3 PSI

The idea of telling someone how to work with gas piping is highly dangerous at best as how does one convey the idea of free air for combustion and where the vents should be located and how to properly test for spillage?

Not all materials are computable with all types of fuels and what about pressure considerations and is this installation in a high climate area of sea level? How does one explain about properly sizing the orifice?

I read the postings about one agency in England saying they inspect boilers etc in other countries I wonder how can they actually enforce their code or issue fines in foreign places?

In America we switched from the American gas association to Canadian standards and still use the National fire Protection Association 54 plus local city codes.

I was on a job several years ago installing caulked cast iron roof drains and saw gas piping installed by the building maintenance staff and contacted the building engineer letting him know there were several code violations and he said impossible as we copied all the piping from the inside installations

I brought to his attention the "drip legs" were installed outside where freezing temperature could freeze any moisture laying in the cap and thus cause a gas leak by the return air of the AC units

I also pointed out black steel has to be either wrapped or the very least painted as it is exposed to the elements snow, rain etc.

A little bit of knowledge especially with fuel /gas is highly dangerous.

One of the questions I used to ask when giving courses was "how much oil does one use on Oxygen gauges to prevent rust"

If the students said even one drop I would have then take a course in gas fitting and welding.

The students were supposed to be mechanics but like many people today they think they are above getting certified officially and here lies the major problems with giving gas advice out

http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbviews/1999/alaska.asp

http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbviews/1999/thermocouple.asp

Sponsored Links
why all this cloak and dagger,its its c15 or DIY ? are corgi dogs ? why do they number them ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL:

usa usa usa usa usa usa , kill all the pigs, go guns , yeehaww

what the **** are you talking abot.

Sponsored Links
dead%2520pigs.jpg

I'm somewhat lost as usual, who is giving advice regarding gas installation to unqualified people ?

I have no clue as I have the dead man blocked even his old lady called him "soft" and I do not think it was just his mindless rantings that made her say it

I have no clue as I have the dead man blocked even his old lady called him "soft" and I do not think it was just his mindless rantings that made her say it

If you look at some of the sites you can see gas advice given out with total disregard to the persons qualifications not just saying this one

It is an odd thing that some folk are happy to risk their lives on information given to them by people that they do not know on the internet rather than have a real live professional who can be checked at their front door.

please show me links. im interested.

Can't be bothered to go searching for you but there have been times when gas related advise has been given.

I love the folks who contact me on several sites and they say

"I cannot afford a real plumber this is my problem"

If it is minor drain cleaning or replacing a washer no problem but once it is a gas issue I let them know they cannot afford not to hire a licensed and insured professional as I stated many times would you dare use a non licensed doctor or knowingly get into an air plane with some jerk who learned strictly on the job and could never pass a written test to know the why besides the how

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back