gas again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131061&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And there you have the typical blind leading the Hollier than thou under the disguise of being Corgy registered.

Ok so the guys an idiot, even a complete moron, but under the Safety rules don't you thing someone should at least tell him what he can't do like running 10mm for the hob etc etc.

Or are you saying ferk it let him get on with it, its not our problem.

Whats admins views, he refuses to answer my questions?

Sponsored Links
This has been discussed so many times on this forum and people generally fall into 2 groups ...

1. Those who prefer to offer no advice at all.
2. Those who prefer to advise at least on safe practice and try to get the OP to get someone competant to undertake the work.

I support the latter as I believe that the OP will inevitably undertake the work anyway and if they are advised sensibly then they have less chance of coming to harm ... Same principle applies with Electrical work IMO.

The thing is though, if you fall into group 1 then fine but leave those who wish to give advice to it and don't turn every gas related post into some RGI/DIY nightmare.

MW

And from that link that is now locked i would suggest tonyboy does a search to find out what Boss white can be used on.
OP did not mention LPG

Are you Admins mouth piece as well now a well as Marvellous mod 10.

Since your now running the show then tell me is this a ferkin DIY forum or not.

As an DIYer I assume its ok if I answer any questions relating to gas safety.

Perhaps you should know there's more to a boiler than a gas pipe that will kill you.

Taking the case of is one of the most dangerous things a diyer can do, yet we have a dozen and more posts, including a Baxi can man giving advice on parts changing.

O DIYnot say thats fine do what ya ferking lkike as long as it ain't got any gas init.

Sponsored Links
DIA don`t be getting upset with them it only boosts there sense of power. The inconsistencies on this site is silly as you say .

DIY to me does not mean messing about with the internal workings of your boiler, nor should you mess around with your consumer unit on the electrics, all this wanting to advise on gas, why?, why do you feel the need, you criticise those that don't feel it is correct to advise a DIYer on gas and say that they think they are holier than thou, but the same can be said for those who want to advise, does this give you a feeling of power, do you feel that you are saving the universe, this site has decided it not a good idea to advise DIYers on gas, you are registered on many other sites doitall where they don't mind what you advise on, so if you are not happy with the policy of DIYnot don't be involved with it, its your choice.

And from that link that is now locked i would suggest tonyboy does a search to find out what Boss white can be used on.
OP did not mention LPG

Don't need to do a search.At every gas course I've been on we've been told not to use Boss White on gas fittings and pipework because it dries out can crack and therefore lead to gas leaks.

Personally I think that advice is rubbish though :LOL:

Reading this though seems BW can only be used on the threads no mention of it being applied to the pipe or olive or inside of a compression fitting.

http://www.bssuk.co.uk/bsscomm/assets/gfx/links/BSS-BOSSConsumablesRangeGuide.pdf

I totally support most of the actions of Marvellous Mod 10 in deleting replies which encourage DIY gas work.

There is no problem with people asking the questions as long as they are given an appropriate answer which in most cases will be to get a properly qualified person to do the job.

The Owner of this site has always seemed to be very laid back about the risk of legal action against him in respect of damages for encouragement to do a risky DIY job or just plain abuse against individuals.

He would do well to read about the recent damages awarded against a web site for libelous statements which had been posted.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/apr/03/medialaw.digitalmedia?gusrc=rss&feed=technology

Tony

Don't need to do a search.At every gas course I've been on we've been told not to use Boss White on gas fittings and pipework because it dries out can crack and therefore lead to gas leaks.

Why not just look at what it says on the can of Boss White?

Be aware that many of the people teaching gas have been away from the tools for a long time.

Tony

But you are one of the worst offenders Tony, giving advice any number of boiler problems and repairs, from pcb's to changing fans etc.

Its not the gas that kills its the POC

There is no need to know about gas to change a PCB on a Suprima for example. Others like a Ferolli have gas setup adjustments on the PCB so should only be done by a competent CORGI.

I never knowingly say that a fan needs to be changed without qualifying that a CORGI is required as its part of the gas train. One person then said that was rubbish and the fan is part of the flue!!!

Nor, unlike others do I advise DIYers about cleaning a venturi. All I say is that its likely to be a fan/APS fault and needs a CORGI.

Please remind me if I every fail to correctly advise safely in future and then I will edit my posting.

Tony

I'm saying that every part on a boiler can affect the safety, taking a gas valve to bits is no more dangerous the taking the combustion chamber cover off. In fact you can smell gas so taking the valve to bits could be less dangerous.

If DIYnot wants to make a stance then they have to ban the subject of Appliances completely.

Carbon Monoxide Kills, appliances blowing up and killing is very rare.

I cannot agree more.

I hadn't even seen it. Admin's view is that we do not support gas work. If you see someone doing so please report it to Mods.
If Admin's view is that DIYnot does not support ******************** then it should be clearly stated in the forum rules/stickies and not left to the members to have on-going diatribes about nor interested Mods deciding off their own bat.

Will admin do this and risk loss of advertising revenue whilst OP's go elsewhere ... I doubt it.

Nor should there be any requirement to do so as ... DIY work on gas IS legal provided the individual is competent and that does not have anything at all to do with Corgi.

The only people who routinely bleat on about how difficult it is are those who have most to gain by not advising DIY'ers ... RGI's :rolleyes:

MW

You keep banging on about this and yet you are not qualified to advise on gas, nor have you given advice on gas.

It is usually those who are not qualified who bleat on and on about RGI's not giving advice on gas, if you want to advice on whatever it is you are qualified in, then go ahead, knock yourself out, its your choice, but stop complaining and criticising those who choose not to advise on a subject they feel is beyond the competency of the poster, thats their choice.

I consider the best solution, and really the obvious one, is to follow the advice of CORGI in this instance.

That means that only a competent person should work on any part of the "gas train". For those who dont know, thats the gas supply, gas valve, combustion parts, fan, flue and associated safety devices like thermoscouples and overheat stats.

Whilst CORGi are not so clever on the detail, I would include the PCB where the PCB has gas setup adjustments on it. I know which models that affects but I appreciate that many on here dont know that.

I dont think we should be giving any detailed advice on gas repairs which would enable a non qualified person to attempt the repair themselves.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back