gas again

There is an overheat reset button top left inside combustion chamber.

Now thats exactly the advice which I dont think we should be giving on here.

Thats a clear encouragement to the DIYer to open up the combustion chamber.

Clearly only a CORGI should be opening the CC and furthermore should be investigating the cause of the overheat.

If thats being said then as a MINIMUM it should be qualified by saying it should only be opened by a CORGI.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Silverback wrote:
You keep banging on about this and yet you are not qualified to advise on gas, nor have you given advice on gas.
Another lame member of the kennel club perhaps?

1. I do not need to be qualified to advise on gas, I need to be competent to advise on gas ... In fact, I need to be neither to advise on gas.
2. You have no idea how competent I am to advise on gas.
3. You are wrong, I have given much advice on the subject since I have been a member ... Of course you wouldn't know that would you as you've been a member how many minutes?

Agile wrote:
I consider the best solution, and really the obvious one, is to follow the advice of CORGI in this instance.
That means that only a competent person should work on any part of the "gas train". For those who dont know, thats the gas supply, gas valve, combustion parts, fan, flue and associated safety devices like thermoscouples and overheat stats.
Yes ... Sound advice and I totally agree.

Then went on to write ...
Clearly only a CORGI should be opening the CC and furthermore should be investigating the cause of the overheat.
No ... Clearly a competent person should be investigating the cause of the overheat.

If thats being said then as a MINIMUM it should be qualified by saying it should only be opened by a CORGI.
Ditto the above.

You guys are confusing qualification with competance for DIY work on gas ... There are plenty of incompetent RGI's around and equal numbers of competent DIY'ers ... The law states competence NOT qualification.

Anyhow ... Why aren't you lot barking to yourselves in the RGI private area if advising DIY'ers on gas troubles you so much.

MW

giving general advice on gas appliances like " yes it sounds like your gas valve is knackered" is not the same as detailed instructions on how to dismantle and repair one, most posters seem to want a pointer to stop their local boiler fixers taking the p*** out of them with over priced repairs or part changers hoping to get lucky, or if they are lucky and get a professional like the guys on here :D

If being a member of the kennel club guaranteed the punter a good service without getting ripped off, but no to the contrary its a license to print money.

That is why people DIY because they cannot afford to get ripped off

Sponsored Links
Is Billy bob/Silverback allowed to be registered more than once under the forum rules.

Is Billy bob/Silverback allowed to be registered more than once under the forum rules.
:LOL:

If being a member of the kennel club guaranteed the punter a good service without getting ripped off, but no to the contrary its a license to print money ... That is why people DIY because they cannot afford to get ripped off
That is the most accurate thing written on this forum for a while ;)

If being a member of the kennel club guaranteed the punter a good service without getting ripped off, but no to the contrary its a license to print money.

It is called Corgi and as you know we have no choice but to be registered with them, are you trying to take over from Drivel.
If you and megawatt want to advise on gas then off you go, although I would consider the fact that neither of you are Corgi registerd your advise should be removed, do you hold proffessional indemnity insurance, you should if you are advising people

If you and megawatt want to advise on gas then off you go
Thanks.

Although I would consider the fact that neither of you are Corgi registerd your advise should be removed
Good advice is good advice and bad advice is bad advice ... It doesn't matter whether you are an RGI or not ... How do you know my registration status? ... Has anyone ever told you that you appear to have a superiority complex?

Do you hold proffessional indemnity insurance, you should if you are advising people
And you quite clearly have no perception of legal requirements for indemnity ... Only applies to paid services. This site offers anonymous free advice with the obvious caveat that, because its free and you've no idea whether a professional RGI is offering it or the floor sweeper from the local KFC, the OP is responsible for their own actions.

Your spelling is appalling BTW, try the spell checker it'll do a far better job than you.

MW

I would consider the fact that neither of you are Corgi registerd your advise should be removed,

This is a DIY forum not an Extension of thre kennel club.

do you hold proffessional indemnity insurance, you should if you are advising people

That applies to ever single post ever

It is called Corgi and as you know we have no choice but to be registered with them

Nothing wrong with that I'm all for it if it guarantees quality, which it doesn't at present, and on that subject I have probably been registered longer than anyone else on the forum.

Oh and they company you work for charges such fair rates, they are so cheap.

Worked for, and yes they were expensive, probably on a par with you, but quality costs as well you know, I don't have a problem with that either, you give the client what they pay for, A good job, however there's enough Cowboys with Corgi cards to more than make up for you and me.

are you trying to take over from Drivel

God forbid

If you want to advise on gas then off you go

Other than issues with pipe sizing where have I given advise about DIY gas. I'm all for a complete ban from the HSE as if thats likely to happen.

And you quite clearly have no perception of legal requirements for indemnity ... Only applies to paid services. This site offers anonymous free advice with the obvious caveat that, because its free and you've no idea whether a professional RGI is offering it or the floor sweeper from the local KFC, the OP is responsible for their own actions.MW

Until the **** hits the fan, if you advise someone and something goes wrong, it will be you they will come after, you will wish you were insured then.

Utter nonsense, nobody on this site (including its owner) is legally responsible for any advice they give out.

If it worries you ... Stop giving out advice.

MW

Then you should be directing some of your ire at the boiler manufacturers.

I changed two control modules on two different boilers this week.

Both modules were made by Honeywell one was for a Vokera boiler the other for a Ferroli ,one was £95 including vat (the Vokera) the other was £210.

Just who exactly is ripping the p!sh here,eh?

Then you should be directing some of your ire at the boiler manufacturers.

I changed two control modules on two different boilers this week.

Both modules were made by Honeywell one was for a Vokera boiler the other for a Ferroli ,one was £95 including vat (the Vokera) the other was £210.

Just who exactly is ripping the p!sh here,eh?

I have been doing that for years if you bother to check.

So what is a fair price for the Vokera, an hour too find the fault and repair, or was it 6 hours parts changing till you got lucky, Thank you Gov that is £699.01 cash ok.

Don't say it doesn't happen we read about it all the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back