Gas and electric safety checks cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really need some advice.
I'm selling my place and the buyers have at the last minute asked for safety checks on gas and electrics.
Who should pay, or can it be split 50/50 and how much does each safety check cost on average?

I've only got a few days to get this done, doesn't seem enough time!

Sponsored Links
its a ploy, they're trying it on hoping you will give way close to exchange of contracts.

How long have they been thinking about buying from you? Why have they just thought of it? When was contract exchange due to take place?

Next they'll be asking for £20k off the price.

If there are problems shown in the report, they'll try to get you to pay for fixing them, or knock £££ off the price.

Why would they trust reports that you obtained?

Tell them the price is for the property as is.

Let them organise something at their cost, ask for copies of the reports. Obviously it may raise issues and strengthen their hand in asking for a reduction to cover any remedial work. If you refuse it will raise questions. .......it may be a ploy to reduce the price.

Sponsored Links
its a ploy, they're trying it on hoping you will give way close to exchange of contracts.

How long have they been thinking about buying from you? Why have they just thought of it? When was contract exchange due to take place?

Next they'll be asking for £20k off the price.

If there are problems shown in the report, they'll try to get you to pay for fixing them, or knock £££ off the price.
Thanx for reply EFLImpudence
Yeah I think you're right about the ploy!
I got lucky with gas, a guy that has done work for a friend previously was in the area and came over last night. Very old boiler but past with flying colours. He spent a long time testing, pressure tests and volume flow tests for boiler and fire.
Well it's been a quick sale, that's if it still goes through, 5 weeks. I'm trying to fast-track it, but homebuyers was done over 2 weeks ago, so it was a surprise he told me they would have the report the next day.
I've already signed the contract, but of course now because of these gas and elec tests it could mess my deadline up. Completion is penciled in for next Wed, and the agent guaranteed that, but didn't send me that in writing as I requested! Solicitor is saying still possible, but with this last minute this it could mess things up if I can't get someone in to test electrics this weekend! I can get someone for Tue but I could be homeless on Wednesday!!
Well I'm also leaving a lot of stuff, they're are first-time buyers, so that will save them thousands if they can put up with my old sofa for a while and wait for the sales!
I had the place rewired BTW but it was a long time ago, but never had any issues, has a new type fuse box etc, everything properly ring main(d) spare points on the fuserbox.

Why would they trust reports that you obtained?

Tell them the price is for the property as is.
Well even the guy that I used who has done work for a friend said if he found something bad he would have disconnected the boiler!
I don't think most gas or electric guys are going to chance losing their job and income letting something dodgy pass with their name on it!
Seem to be doing a lot of testing, smoke test, co2 I think, gas volume for boiler and fire.

Let them organise something at their cost, ask for copies of the reports. Obviously it may raise issues and strengthen their hand in asking for a reduction to cover any remedial work. If you refuse it will raise questions. .......it may be a ploy to reduce the price.
Yep I think it is a ploy. I will get the checks done, gas is pass with flying colours, and I'm sure electrics will also (touch wood) so if they want to play hardball I'll bail as it's going to cost me a lot to move out this quick and rent until I do a final move!

A blatant bargaining ploy if you ask me.
Yep, same as above, and a few friends also agree with you guys.
I'm also selling place a bit cheap, well more than a bit that a couple of places that sold in last couple of months, so anything that needs fixing or upgrading is well within what they are saving, not to mention coming down already on the asking price!

Thanx again guys for the replies.
Must find someone today or tomorrow to certify the electrics. Will update progress, hopefully good news to follow!

Last edited:
I do quite a few of these and it is usually the solicitor that asks for them,it will become more of an issue in the future if you can not provide a building regs cert for boilers that have been fitted.

I do quite a few of these and it is usually the solicitor that asks for them,it will become more of an issue in the future if you can not provide a building regs cert for boilers that have been fitted.
It is only the solicitor wanting to cover his arse by having a piece of paper to show he has done what he is supposed to do.

He, the solicitor, would be equally happy with a piece of paper from you stating "No, they have not been checked; the price takes account of this".

The buyers may not be so happy but tell them the same and if you don't want to buy, go away.

It depends which of you, buyer or seller, is more desperate to complete the sale.

It's no different than selling a car. Whatever happens, you do not have to reduce the price if you don't want to.

This happened to a friend, he dug his heels in and said take it or leave it. They took it...

Let's get this straight; you've already signed the contracts, and as the completion is set for next wednesday, that implies that contracts have also been exchanged, so they can't reduce the price, no matter what the reports show up.

Now if that's the case, then they are just being paranoid first time buyers, so you can either tell them where to go - politely of course. Offer to pay for reports as a gesture of goodwill, even though they won't get done till after you've gone. Or just ignore it.

Let's get this straight; you've already signed the contracts, and as the completion is set for next wednesday, that implies that contracts have also been exchanged, so they can't reduce the price, no matter what the reports show up.

Now if that's the case, then they are just being paranoid first time buyers, so you can either tell them where to go - politely of course. Offer to pay for reports as a gesture of goodwill, even though they won't get done till after you've gone. Or just ignore it.
Well I've signed, but I've not had a copy back showing they have signed yet unless solicitor hasn't thought of doing that which I doubt very much!
You could be right, maybe they're just being extremely careful!
The solicitor hasn't confirmed the completion date but the day in question has been suggested for about 2 weeks, so I'm basically in limbo and trying to clear all my stuff out and pack etc with no actual date set in stone!
Either way it's a bit of a nightmare not knowing with only a very few days to go!
I've paid for one safety check already, trying my best to get other one done this weekend so they have no excuse to worry!
Solicitor tells me I've nothing outstanding to do, so I'm not holding things up, but my solicitor is still waiting for searches to come back. I've offered to pay for them to be done quick as possible, what more can I do?

An EIRC for about £100 would have covered the electrics. Should have paid out to begin with and presented it, saving them having a biased electrican of their own come in and talk a lot of sh1t, which is a good try on their part, don't blame em really, it's all part of the game.

Reading between the lines, I think you're trying to hide something, could be wrong. Just how you come across.

An EIRC for about £100 would have covered the electrics. Should have paid out to begin with and presented it, saving them having a biased electrican of their own come in and talk a lot of sh1t, which is a good try on their part, don't blame em really, it's all part of the game.

Reading between the lines, I think you're trying to hide something, could be wrong. Just how you come across.
That option was suggested by my solicitor but declined, they or their solicitor requested inspection!
Well I got gas check done and it passed, I found a guy today with a lot of calling around and it passed. The guy took fuse-box apart and checked everything and even check the RCD was working and cutting power to garage.

I would be interested in what lines you've been reading between, I've been very open with buyers, surveyor, solicitor, I've got nothing to hide, I've probably been a bit too open with the buyers on a couple of points, but I have a clear consonance, anything not 100% right they are now aware of!

You are not allowed to use that word. At least I am not allowed to use that word on the basis that this is a family website.
I was threatened with being banned if I continued to use that word.
Maybe it was something to do with me using it in place of transam.

Sponsored Links
Back