Gas Bayonet Connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any CORGIs out there?
At the risk of incurring some wrath from you I'd like a bit of advise please....
I'm wanting to connect one of those Wall Plate Elbow things onto a 15mm copper pipe and then screw a Bayonet fitting into the elbow ready for a Cooker Pipe. A mate of mine has told me that he thinks the Elbow I have needs to be a "solder" type and not the "compression" type that i got from Screwfix. Is he correct? Are compression fittings not allowed for gas? What about the Bayonet fitting, does that need to be a solder type or is that ok as a screw type with plenty of PTFE?

Sponsored Links
compression fittings where they are acessible solder otherwise

you should be reg to work on a gas pipe

(consider yourself b*llocked) bayonet are screwed

but use the right tape not ordinary ptfe

As you have just displayed your incompetence publicly, I suggest you use a Corgi engineer to do the job for you.

Thanks Kev, I have the proper GAS PTFE tape
The Elbow will go behing a kitchen unit and I'll make a cut-out at the back so that the Cooke Pipe can be plugged in and out. Is that "accessible" and does that I mean I can use compression elbow?

Sponsored Links
no not if you cant get a spanner on it

you shouldnt really be doing it in the first place

i honestly hope you are going to get somebody in after to do a "tightness test"

dont ask

why dont you go to plumbcenter and buy the right fitting if, they're sell you one.

there is a special gas wall plate/elbow.

and no, you cant use compression because it could pull off when the cookers moved.

Thanks doitall
I've just seen the thing on www.bes.co.uk, code 6048 and is only a quid or so. What is a Cooker Stability Bracket for? Is it to stop the cooker from moving? is is clamped at the floor or the wall???
What about the chain? is that to prevent pulling on the pipe?

How are you going to test for gas leakage after you have done this DIY job.

I do think that my colleagues are being a little harsh on you. Providing you are deemed competent you can do simple gas work in your own home and at least you are taking the trouble to ask the right questions so you will be using the right fittings ( now ).

However I would be happier if I knew that you were intending to check for gas leakage afterwards and had something suitable to do it with!

Tony Glazier

good on ya Agile, nice to get a bit of support after all that wrath from the CORGIs,
I have one of those Gas Leak detection sprays which I find very useful and necessary, especially with my soldering skills - i used to use a lighter before that! :oops:

Flames don't work - nothing happens - except for big leaks then of course you may wish you hadn't....

You may be able to test the joints you've made but if the pipes goes out of sight like below the floor, manipulating one end of it can make it leak where you can't see it.

Turning the gas off at the meter can make a leak there.

To be deemed competent you need the right kit (U guage/manometer)and know how to use it. Nothing stopping you reading up on it, it isn't difficult, but to explain on a web site would be very long and error prone, and probably a bad precedent..

Like the need to disconnect or cap the gas meter before soldering.

You lot seem to have your own rules for whom can do gas work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back