GAS CONDENSING BOILER CHOICE ADVICE PLSE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Neta heat boiler some 20+ yrs old, serving a fully pumped conventional radiator system, which BGas say they cannot reliably repair cos parts are no longer in stock. I also appreciate that this old style boiler is very innefficient.

SO, I want to replace it for a modern Gas Condensing boiler ( not combi) for a typical 3 bed detached bungalow.
The potterton has been remarkably reliable and apart from a very noisy fan, I would have no hesitation in getting a similar replacement.
But I heard the new Pottertons PCB's are duff and I also want to get a quieter operating unit.

Please can I have any useful feedback on the current boiler market and recommendations for a QUIET boiler please.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant is very quiet. 4 series not so good as 6 series, which has an insulated enclosure.

Remeha Avanta 18v is quiet.

Viessman 100W reasonably quiet, as is Bosch Ri series.

Paxi Botterton are in trouble to the tune of £60M losses and their shares have reached junk status, according to the Sunday Times. Best avoided, not the same company anymore that made your Netaheat.

Thanks guys.. I'll sus out the Vaillant.
Update.. OK, I looked at their website and a few reviews online.
Lots of different models.. whats main difference between 4 and 6 series? I need same amount of power as my original .

Sponsored Links
I would always go for the Vaillant 600 series when ever possible ;)

Thanks, my last update was overtaken by last reply.
Thanks again guys,
I'll check out prices, cos they seem a little pricey, but that is not really a problem for a top quality unit.

400 series is primarily for an open vent system (F&E tank in loft) whilst the 600 series is a system boiler, but physically slightly larger than the 400 series.

Both are avilable in a 18Kw version which should be enough for your needs.

OK..
from my quick search on the net and reading some reviews, I did sort of notice some reference to scaling of the heat exchanger in stainless steel types, with Vaillant suggesting theirs should last 5 years ????

Is this scaling a problem that's built in ? Does it mean a major expense every 5 years or is it just a descale job ? Does this affect cast iron boilers as well.. oh dear, more help please!!

... I did sort of notice some reference to scaling of the heat exchanger in stainless steel types ....

Is this scaling a problem that's built in ? Does it mean a major expense every 5 years or is it just a descale job ? Does this affect cast iron boilers as well.. oh dear, more help please!!
Scaling may affect you if you live in a hard water area. You say you live in Kent, so I guess you are in a hard water area.

Limescale problems really arise when the system is being continuously filled and emptied, usually when sorting out problems ;) Provided this is not happening, you will have the same water in the system 10 years after you first filled it and any limescale will have been deposited in the first few hours of operation. So there will not be any limescale build up.

As a precaution, you can always put in a Limescale reducer as well as the normal inhibitor, e.g. Sentinel X100 and X200, when you fill the system.

OK thanks for your help, just wondered about 'no gain without pain.'

Worcester Ri have let us down on three separate installs.

Two PCBs one fan. They tell me they are better now.

Don't know anything about WB, personally wouldn't ever fit one unless forced to.

Recently all the manufacturers course I have attended have been of the opinion that scale should not be a problem in the plate HE as the domestic water is flowing too fast to allow scale to collect.

Don't know anything about WB, personally wouldn't ever fit one unless forced to.

Recently all the manufacturers course I have attended have been of the opinion that scale should not be a problem in the plate HE as the domestic water is flowing too fast to allow scale to collect.
That would be very unlikely in the system boilers being discussed here :)

Stan

Very true :oops:

Was distracted sideways by the OPs mention of scale and 5 years :rolleyes:

OP the 5 year anti-scale warranty on the Vaillants is only applicable to the plate HE on their combis, not the main HE on a system/open vent boiler, or in fact any of their boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back